First 'brew' turning out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
Been reading lots here in the past month or two, did a Muntons no-boil, Canadian Ale kit over a month ago and let it ferment for 3 weeks (thank you homebrewtalk). I brewed it with 1kg of corn sugar, in a 'just rest the lid on top' brewing bucket, no airlock. I peeked throughout the fermentation process about once a day for the first week.

Bottled 8 days ago, again using techniques l read about here!

I cracked one 4 days into bottle conditioning and it had carbonation in the headspace, but not much in the beer, pretty flat and tasted green and a bit sweet.

So being impatient, I cracked another just now, four days later, justifying it with the "this way I can know the progression of my beer". It's got more headspace carbonation but now I've actually got bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass for the whole time I drank it! Still tasted a bit flat but that's to be expected, however far less 'green' and sweet, a LOT more like beer!

I was all nervous about it being a mega light beer or something, as I didn't have a hydrometer to measure it when I brewed, but I got a decent buzz off that glass (that's the poor mans test, I guess!).

Thanks homebrewtalk, I'm so happy it's turning into actual beer and I bet it'll taste even better in a few more weeks. Time to plan the next batch now! :mug:

First off, greetings and welcome to the obsession and any of us can tell you're hooked! Tasting during the carbing process will show you how the beer matures until it's ready to be consumed. As you've already read, and learned, patience is a virtue - even with home brews.

Time to plan the next batch now! :mug:

It's time to "brew the next batch now."

Latest posts

Back