Thanksgiving Turkey on the BGE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used the procedure/recipe outlined at the Naked Whiz to make this year's turkey. The Egg stayed at 330°F (+/- 10) with almost no adjustment for the entire cook. No, I didn't leave the Thermapen that way for the entire cook, but the Egg's dial thermometer is off by about 75° and doesn't have an adjustment screw. So, I use the Thermapen to take an occasional reading. The results: FANTASTIC!

bgeturkeya09.jpg

bgeturkeyb09.jpg

Nice smoker!

Smoked turkey is awesome, but this one was roasted with just a hint of apple wood smoke (very small handful of chips at the very start of the cook).

Nice smoker!

Smoked turkey is awesome, but this one was roasted with just a hint of apple wood smoke (very small handful of chips at the very start of the cook).

Apple and Cherry wood are my secret weapons. :rockin:
Most of my neighbors love me -- they like the smell of the smoker going.
Some have actually asked me to toss a chicken or two in for them. :rockin:

I dropped one of the turkeys I did on the Weber Kettle (going old school).

Complete success... coals to one side, turkey on other. Done in 3 hours, loved by all. I have to go buy a christmas tree... try to edit in the picts later!

Back