Nothing can ever be the same again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from driving my babysitter's father's Porshe 911 type 996 turbo. He found out that I had been to the Porshe factory in Zuffenhausen and offered to take me for a ride. Halfway through, he pulled over and passed me the stick. It was pure heaven. 420bhp at my beck and call, mechanical music blaring behind me while the wind-noise rose as I screamed past 200kph in 3rd gear, laughing all the while.

He told me he'd give me first crack when he sells it.

The WRX isn't going to feel all that snappy tomorrow...

I've still got beer.

I was in Germany last year and had an Audi A6 Turbo Diesel up over 250 kph...too bad I ran out of road...:D

Used to drive my BMW 530il in excess of 144mph many times.

I have over 50,000 miles on my '99 Pontiac Grand Am driven in excess of 100 mph (governor kicks in at 107).

All driven in Germany mind you... ;)

<<drools a little>>

Last year I went from owning an S-10 to owning a 330i 5 speed. Those first couple days adjusting and speeding way too much were great.

fastest car i've ever driven was an 06 corvette... i stopped at 100 mph, cause it wasn't mine, and the road didn't lend itself to driving in excess of 100mph...

t1master said:
fastest car i've ever driven was an 06 corvette... i stopped at 100 mph, cause it wasn't mine, and the road didn't lend itself to driving in excess of 100mph...
You also have to build up your confidence in yourself and the equipment before traveling at those speeds...therefore giving you "experience".

One of the main reasons "speed kills" is because some people tried going too fast their first time out.

This happened several years ago when my grandson was a passenger in a car where the unexperienced driver loss control and killed 3 of the 5 in the car. He only had his license 9 days.

homebrewer_99 said:
You also have to build up your confidence in yourself and the equipment before traveling at those speeds...therefore giving you "experience".

One of the main reasons "speed kills" is because some people tried going too fast their first time out.

This happened several years ago when my grandson was a passenger in a car where the unexperienced driver loss control and killed 3 of the 5 in the car. He only had his license 9 days.

I hope your grandson wasn't one of those killed. Here in VA teenagers die by the carload also, but not only due to speed, the roads here in our county are so narrow and twisty they don't leave any room for error for careless drivers.

Flyin' Lion said:
I hope your grandson wasn't one of those killed. Here in VA teenagers die by the carload also, but not only due to speed, the roads here in our county are so narrow and twisty they don't leave any room for error for careless drivers.
Unfortunately, he was...all the boys were on the HS football and wrestling teams...devastated the school for a while...definitely ruined the year for their friends.

Walker-san said:
Aren't you a little old to have a babysitter, Cheyco?

I can't belive you're the first one to catch that. :p

And so what if I have a babysitter? SWMBO said she's going to try to teach me how to use the stove again soon, now that I know my phone number and address by heart.

I raced sprint cars for several years and 0 to 60 in 4 sec is pretty quick. I did have the chance to drive my friends zo6 vett and was utterly unimpressed with the power to weight ratio. Now I dont know about the turbo 966 (they do look SWEET!!!)My kart will pull 2 G's in the corners on blacktop I can also go 0 to 80 (top speed mind you) in four seconds and I can pull 60 mph in 50 ft corner you just just gotta love that kind SPEED. I think the fastest I have ever gone is in my 74 Jenson intersepter I got out of it at 155mph but it was smooth as glass all the way through
JJ

Sounds like fun Chairman. As for me, I have spent the last three days flogging Viper's at the track. Work has it privileges.

-Todd

HomerT said:
Sounds like fun Chairman. As for me, I have spent the last three days flogging Viper's at the track. Work has it privileges.

-Todd

I'll be flogging my viper at work for the next four weeks as well. Small world...

:p

Alas, we have stumbled upon the pinnacle of one-upmanship: men and borrowed cars!

lol, but seriously that is cool man. Time to trade in that little australian cracker box for a nice german automobile :D

Its not one upmanship. Cherco had the better deal. :D

Of course, I was on the clock...so I was getting paid. :rockin:

-Todd

Aha...I understand now. I wasn't talking about that kind of Viper...or that kind of flogging.:cross:

-Todd

Baron von BeeGee said:
Ask him to let you drive it again in January and see which one you prefer :D

Yeah, I got the swedish flick down pat in the snow/ice/gravel cacophony our streets become in the winter. He said he's putting winter tires on the 911 so he can drive it all year round. It'll be fun to take them both out to a big parking lot and do some auto-snow-cross or something. If it ever happens, I'll report. I suspect the 'rex might get around a bit quicker, but I'm biased... :D

Back