Help needed with Malting Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejazzer

Reaction score
Hello, it's been a while since I posted on the forum. But I've been waiting for some ingredients and now I think I need a little help.

I requested help before for barley-less beer making because I live in a place where there is no brewing tradition. So I've been playing with malting corn reasonably successfully though the results are lacking a little in body.

Here is my request for help (again)

I have obtained 56kilos of raw wholegrain barley. It's cereal food for horses. It's the smallest amount that I could buy, but it wasn't expensive. It's good, it germinates quickly. I'm also going to grow some in my garden.

It's germinating well, but when do I stop it. I've read that the acrospire should be 75-100% the length of the grain. But should it grow 75% beyond the length of the grain or should it's length not actually exceed the end of the grain. The descriptions I've read don't really make it clear as the acrospire starts at one end of the grain and grows under the husk mostly and pokes it's head out of the other end of the grain to the rootlets.

I feel like I am heading in the right direction now I have my Barley and I have plenty to experiment with so any help would be much appreciated.

At the moment it's only possible to buy only 1 type of amber swill in this country and I am desperate to brew my own and taste a real beer again.

Back