Want to do a Blackberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey.allen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Still pretty new to this, and can't quite figure out how I want to do this. I'm thinking of a standard wheat recipe, and add some blackberries. I was thinking of using 3-4 lbs, moosh em down, and boil them for a few minutes, and add to the secondary. Does that sound right? I've never done anything fruit like before, so I'm just guessing here. Thanks.

trey

just finished a keg of my blackberry wheat. very tasty. I used one can of the oregon fruit puree right in the primary and it came out great

To prevent a "wine like" off flavor, my advice is:

- Give the beer at least 14 days in the primary, 21 days is better.

- Crash cool the beer prior to racking.

- Add the fruit to the secondary, and rack on top, trying to minimize yeast addition.

- Keep the secondary COLD for a week to 10 days.

- Rack to keg.

The idea is to keep any secondary fermentation to an absolute minimum. Less fermentation = less wine flavor.

It is ok to let the beer sit in the primary for 14-21 days, even after the fermentation has ceased?

Also, when you say to crash cool the beer before racking to secondary, you are talking about the same temperature that you cold crash before kegging correct?

Then, keeping the beer "COLD" during secondary... same temperature as cold crashing?

It is ok to let the beer sit in the primary for 14-21 days, even after the fermentation has ceased?

Also, when you say to crash cool the beer before racking to secondary, you are talking about the same temperature that you cold crash before kegging correct?

Then, keeping the beer "COLD" during secondary... same temperature as cold crashing?

It is ok. My beer stays in primary a minimum of 21 days and I just racked an IPA at 4 weeks.

I follow the same procedure for fruit beer and for me crash "cool" is crash "cold"

Back