Sierra Nevada Torpedo...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its good, they call it topedo because they pass the beer through a "hop torpedo" with high pressure

Yeah, i just saw this at my local beer shop. I passed on it for the Terrapin Dos Cocoas...

Personally I think it's outstanding, and I'm apparently not alone in this as two of the three local beer stores were completely out of it last night.

I like it, but it surprisingly has a pretty small amount of hop aroma. However, there is a nice hop flavor and good hop bite to it. Finishes nice and dry with a good amount of bitterness to cleanse the palette. Head retention is not so good, reducing down to a 1/4" layer of bubbles after the first few drinks. Overall a great IPA, but not the best I've had.

I'd give this one 87/100. Great and tasty but not fantastic.

Torpedo was not what I expected, however, that is not a bad thing.

What came from the bottle was a balanced brew rather than an overwhelming hops explosion.

A very tasty beer that is quite drinkable.

In the past I would steer clear of SN products.
But the recent offerings have changed how I feel about them.

Try this if you can find it. You'll probably enjoy it. :mug:

i really liked it, i went to the store looking for it, and at least at the place i went to it was almost a $1 cheaper then the other normal SN products. i assume because it was new, i ended up buying two six packs and i'd buy it again in a heart beat

I will try it as I actually like Sierra Nevada. They are a great company, very good brews and they know how to use hops the right way. Sorry, just because a company expands and does well in my opinion I am not going to stop buying there beer because they are commercialized now. Unlike some here who wont drink a beer on the shelves unless its a no name so they can feel like they are the different beer drinker.

its great except I left one in the garage and someone placed it in the fridge next to the others. Im guessing 4 days of sunlight didnt help it and my stomach agreeded with that decision

Anyone spot this in the Chicago area yet? I'm really wanting to try this one.

The Binnys in Elmwood Park had it for a couple weeks or more. I went to buy more tonight and they were out. I asked the manager and he said that they were out and that their distributor didn't have any more at the moment. I'm sure if you call the Binnys near you the might still have some left.

damnit!

i thought i was the first to rant on the goodness of this beer!

but, iwas sadly mistaken :(

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/torpedo-extra-ipa-sierra-nevada-102831/

anyway, i bought out the local p-lace to get it till NEXT TUESDAY!!!!!! IT'S FRICKEN THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

means im drinking my last one NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crap!

i cannot even clone this **** because i have no f'n CRYSTAL HOPS!!!!!!!

ok, i have calmed down a tad.

sorry.

i will brew this.

it will be good.

torpedo OWnZ yOuZ!!!!!!!!

thank you sierra nevada.

Tried my first one last night as well. I didn't take tasting notes, but my first impression was "interesting". It definitely tastes like a Sierra Nevada, but there is a fascinating, subdued complexity to it that definitely came as a surprise considering how aggressive (some might say harsh) most of their Pale Ales/IPAs taste.

I live / go to school in the Champaign / Urbana area, but back home at the Willowbrook Binnys (83 and Planinfield) they had lots of it along with Bigfoot and Hopslam... just dont take it all...

Cheers!

Tried this stuff for the first time tonight. Not too bad, IMO. Hop aroma was herbal and citrusy with a hint of what I can only describe as sweet tropical fruit. Flavor was well balanced and smooth, with a very deceiving 7.2% ABV. I'll buy it again.

****!
we need to post aq "do not drink the torpedo" thread... when SN runs out of citra, we are screwed. we nee das many people as possible to not buy it, so we have a supply till next november when SN gets "re-hopped" for the next year!

yeah, im greedy. WTF about it. it is really that good. f'n grand slam IMHO.

unless you have not tried it, then what i meant to say, it's total ****. dont waste your money. leave it in the liquer store, let some poor slob buy it instead, go for the heini!!!!!

It's decent and drinks nicely for a 7%+ brew. I grabbed a case because it was on sale but I don't think I'd go out of my way for it.

I picked up a six pack of this on Friday to drink while brewing my DFH 60 Min IPA on Saturday but couldn't wait that long with it staring me in the face. But I have to say I thought it was delicious! I love Sierra Nevada. Saturday I also got to try Pliny the Elder for the first time. WOW! Lets just say Saturday with both a couple torpedo's and the Pliny I was feeling real good :drunk:

I liked it, but wish it had more hop flavor and aroma. It was nice and bitter, but I felt it could use some more late addition hops.

finally tracked some down and had one last night (even though I swore I'd stop drinking beers M-Thurs for a laittle while). I made an exception.

I have to say that this might be one of the best beer bargains out there right now. I picked up a six pack for 7.99. This is a nice, strong, citrus burst (not quite a bomb) IPA that most breweries would put in a bomber and charge 7.99+ for only 22 ozs. This was like a Bell's Two Hearted that someone cranked the citrusy aroma hops up on. Pored a deep, dark orange, mouthfeel was a little sticky, and it hits with a nice bitter kick at first but once you're a few sips in it's all tangerine/orange hop goodness.

This doesn't beat SN Celebration Ale for me as far as their IPA's go (love the Chinook), but Torpedo is a beer worthy of celebration in of itself. The fact that it's priced the same as their flagship Pale and will be available year round is a very, very good thing.

When many of my favorite 6- (and even worse) 4-packs have gone up in price over the last 6 months... I can get hardly get anything (Alpha King, Pride & Joy, Cane & Ebel, Brutal Bitter, DFH 90,etc.) for under 10 - 12.99 in these parts these days, so grabbing a 6'er of Torpedo for 8 bucks now and again is going to be a welcome addition to my fridge.

Also picked up another 6'er of 2008 Celebration since I found some at the same place. Kinda had too. It's getting very scarce these days.

Good job as usual SN!

I picked up a 6'er of this Friday night and it is fantastic. A local grocery store has it priced a buck cheaper than SNPA, so that is a plus.

I just drank a six pack of it last night. Very detailed info (for a large brewery) on sierra nevada's website.

Finally got a chance to try this. I've got to say, it is very good. Maybe my new go to IPA. Despite a lot of people's conception that SN is one of the huge "microbrew" monsters, they are really a small brewery at heart.

Heres what their website says:
7.2% ABV
Yeast: not listed, but their yeast is available from both Wyeast and White Labs
OG: 17.8 Plato (~1.074)
FG: 4.6 Plato (~1.018)
Malt: 2row, carapils, crystal (from the color I'm guessing a 80 or 120L)
70 IBU's
Bittering: Magnum
Finish: Mangnum, Crystal
Dry Hop: Magnum, Crystal, Citra (maybe sub for a touch of cascade???)

I had my expectations too high when I tried this. I was hoping for a year round Celebration Ale, and although it's good it's a letdown when you're hoping for one of your favorites

Torpedo is easily in my top 10, and that's saying something. What a wonderful beer. Not having any luck finding a reviewed extract recipe...

Torpedo is easily in my top 10, and that's saying something. What a wonderful beer. Not having any luck finding a reviewed extract recipe...

As an IPA lover, and appreciative of SN's contributions to the brew world, I too love this beer! For those that like Celebration or other styles, this is an IPA, not an XMAS beer!

Like another poster said, these are the web site specs:
alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.3 Plato bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.2 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 65 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

At any rate, Citra is a must, (IMHO), a reasonable dose of crystal malt(darker varieties), reasonably heavy late/finishing hopping, to simulate their using of the torpedo device, and the Chico yeast(wlp001, salfale US-05, Wyeast 1056).

I haven't tried a clone for this yet, but will. I'm very interested in the results anyone has on this, so please post your taste tests!

Latest posts

Back