RTV High Temperature Silicone to Seal Heat Element Connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleewok

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure this will work, but I want to double check. Most people seem to be using JB Weld to seal the power connections to their heating element. I was planning on fitting PVC right around the connections and then filling it will the silicone.

Would it be easier/just as effective to use a high temp RTV silicone to seal the electrical connection?

I was thinking the benefit of this would be that if there was ever a leak I could cut away the silicone and reseal it. I could also use the silicone for a wider variety of jobs.

This is the silicone I am considering:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V40DJ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should work but have you considered the Blichmann-style setup? If you haven't seen it, here's a link to Kal's site where he details the parts and assembly. I used this style setup on the elements on my standalone HEX and HLT. They work awesome and I'd think they're more easily serviced than encasing your connections in silicone.

Should work but have you considered the Blichmann-style setup? If you haven't seen it, here's a link to Kal's site where he details the parts and assembly. I used this style setup on the elements on my standalone HEX and HLT. They work awesome and I'd think they're more easily serviced than encasing your connections in silicone.

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if I've seen the setup you're referring to. Did you forget the link? :)

Cr@p, sorry about that. Thanks brewmcq for remembering the link. Here's a direct link to the heating element portion.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

Heh, no worries (double thanks brewmcq). I do appreciate the link. I'm familiar with the setup you are talking about. The more I think about it .... I'm leaning towards a box now. I just didn't want to use the JB Weld (In case I ever want to remove the box). I'll probably do a box with the high temp silicone (seal from outside and inside).

I did a test boil with everything exposed (a couple days ago). Either way I go will be safer than that!

I used White Lightning Silicone Rubber RTV formula for my heatsticks a few years ago. The silicone is now pretty much wort colored, not clear, but it continues to seal well. I couldn't find it locally recently, so I used Dap 08641. I found that at an Ace hardware. Non of the local big box stores hand anything suitable at the time.

I also use a low tech element mount:
1" lock nut inside kettle, stock element gasket outside kettle and PVC cap to cover connections.

I used some silicon around the PVC cap to make it "water resistant".

When it is set the silicon encapsulated connections would be very difficult to remove. Do a leak test and a functional test before adding the extra silicon.

I used electronic potting compound. It's what should be used, and isn't very expensive.

Back