Yeast for use in a Pumpkin Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
I brewed two Pumpkin Ales last year, same recipe with 2 different yeasts.

WLP011 European Ale: This brought out the spiced aroma, but didn't do much for the flavor.
WLP864 Cry Havok: The better one, had a much nicer flavor and even though the aroma was more mild than 011, the flavor made this the winner of the two.

This year, I don't have either of those on hand. I could go buy them, but what I do have on hand are these two:

WLP060 American Ale
1945 NB Neobritannia

Of the two listed above, which do you think would make a better pumpkin ale?
Is there a favorite yeast you use for Pumpkin Ales that isn't listed?

tlazaroff said:
I brewed two Pumpkin Ales last year, same recipe with 2 different yeasts.

WLP011 European Ale: This brought out the spiced aroma, but didn't do much for the flavor.
WLP864 Cry Havok: The better one, had a much nicer flavor and even though the aroma was more mild than 011, the flavor made this the winner of the two.

This year, I don't have either of those on hand. I could go buy them, but what I do have on hand are these two:

WLP060 American Ale
1945 NB Neobritannia

Of the two listed above, which do you think would make a better pumpkin ale?
Is there a favorite yeast you use for Pumpkin Ales that isn't listed?

Why not split into 2 fermenters and use both yeasts. It can't hurt really and just might be a humdinger of a brew!!!!

Why not split into 2 fermenters and use both yeasts. It can't hurt really and just might be a humdinger of a brew!!!!

True, however, I want to use one yeast for the pumpkin beer, and the other yeast for a Christmas beer. I also am only making 2.5 gallons of the Pumpkin, so I think splitting it would be.. weird.

Back