What is the correct response to "Thank You"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you respond when someone says "thank you?"

• You're Welcome

• No Problem

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bopper

Reaction score
The right answer is "You're Welcome", "My Pleasure", "Anytime", etc. but NOT "No Problem." I never said there was a problem in the first place!!!

/Rant! :drunk:

EDIT - I added a poll. It seems that I may be in the minority on this one which I find interesting.

You know what grinds my gears? People that can't wrap thier heads around the difference in "take" and "bring" Drives my flipping crazy!

You bring something to a place where you currently are. You take something somewhere else!

"Please take beer to my house" = Correct only if you are not at your house when you make the statement.

If you are at your house it's "Please bring beer to my house."

No problem brother.

Never spent much time on Islands have you?

I have but it still makes me crazy for some reason! I would never call anyone out on it or anything but it still always gets to me. Minor annoyance.

It bothers me more in a professional environment as opposed to casual conversation among friends.

In India saying thank you is considered insulting (too impersonal)...at least with regards to food.

I see an Indian doctor and I've had a much easier time dealing with her if I say "I'm feeling much better" or something that sounds more thoughtful.

Couldn't sleep last night was that relevant?

I'm sure I've said "No Problem" before but when I say it I'm actually saying "It was no problem for me".

I agree. I say "No problem" fairly often. But I mean it the same way, like "It wasn't a problem for me to do [whatever]. Think nothing of it."

That it is contrued otherwise will make me consider another canned response though.

I use the "no problem" very often. In interworkplace emails it's often "np". I use it as Johnny does. Don't mention it, it was no big deal. I prefer "Ah Halcom" myself. This is my 2 year old's response :D

Next time Bopper says 'thank you' to me, I'm going to ignore the living **** out of him just to really give him something to rant about.

;)

Thank you for your comment, Shecky ;)

I see "no problem" as fine as well. "you're welcome" means that you are welcome to bother me with whatever it was your needed. "no problem" means it wasn't a problem in the first place. Seems more polite to me.

I use both of them (plus an unlisted third respone), depending on the situation.

If someone is thanking me for a gift or something nice that I did for them because I wanted to do it, then I say "You're welcome."

If someone has asked me for something and I give it to them because THEY wanted me to do it and it really isn't a big deal, then I say "No problem", because they weren't really welcome to the item/help/whetever, but it was still something that didn't really put me out in any way.

If someone is thanking me after REALLY bothering me with something or asking for a huge PITA favor or whatever from me, then I will just respond with a "Yup".

So, for me the responses depends on how willing I was to assist them in the first place.

How about "No worries", does that count? That's probably my most typical response, but it's usually followed by something along the lines of "if you need anything else, let me know".

Second in line for most typical response is "I'm here for YOU, man."

I pretty much always say No Problem or De Nada if I'm feeling saucy. I'm assuming the OP probably wouldn't care for De Nada either as it's kind of similar to saying No Problem. Getting PO'd at someone who did something nice enough for you to thank them because they don't come up with your prefered response is an interesting take on the situation. From now on I'm just going to reply "F-YOU!" :mad: ;)

The correct response is; "Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this as a gift and get over yourself and your 'No problem' phobia." Either that or "You owe me mother****er!".

I often say "no problem" or "not a problem at all". "Sure" is another good one.

Is it polite? Not really...it's more like "no need to thank me" or "no worries"...I usually use it when people express the NEED to thank me...saying thank you for something as trivial as me doing my job.

"You're welcome", "my pleasure" or "you're very welcome" are saved for special occasions.

It's been three years since I posted here so I want to change my answer from "No problem" to "Go **** yourself". :D

You're welcome is wrong, You're welcome in my home. You're welcome to have some beer. Now if you thank me for something I have already done, why would I welcome you again. That is why welcome mats are at the front door. enter and move on. If someone thanks me and it's no big deal, I say no problem. If it something like thank-you for letting me be late paying you back money, then it's "5 across the eye's", if he has two black eyes it's because he didn't listen.

Estudio espanol en la escuela para tres anos. Tambien, mi amiga era de Mexico. No puedo hablar con fluidez, pero puedo hablar un poco. No problemo, mi amigo!!

Back