Sierra Nevada Torpedo...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried this recently, also tried Dead Guy and DFH 90 (I know these are not all the exact same style). I don't drink much commercial beer so these were all new to me.

Loved the Dead Guy.
Liked the Torpedo.
Do not want DFH 90.

TwoHeadsBrewing's assessment is spot-on imo. Somebody else said the bitterness is a tiny bit harsh and I agree but overall it's a good beer imo.

EDIT: the DFH 90 may not have been fresh, it had some aroma but not a ton of it. But I found it to be sort cloyingly sweet.

I like it, but it surprisingly has a pretty small amount of hop aroma. However, there is a nice hop flavor and good hop bite to it. Finishes nice and dry with a good amount of bitterness to cleanse the palette. Head retention is not so good, reducing down to a 1/4" layer of bubbles after the first few drinks. Overall a great IPA, but not the best I've had.

I'd give this one 87/100. Great and tasty but not fantastic.
+1 For a Double IPA there was almost zero nose, not bad but just not what I expected....Can anyone suggest a real good representation of a double IPA or an Imperial IPA

I'm not sure about the "no nose" comments, because I get plenty of hop nose from it. For me most IIPAs are unbalanced and push too much hops without enough malt to balance. Most IIPA's I find overpowering, but I really enjoy Torpedo. It's one of the few that seem balanced to me.

I'm not sure about the "no nose" comments, because I get plenty of hop nose from it. For me most IIPAs are unbalanced and push too much hops without enough malt to balance. Most IIPA's I find overpowering, but I really enjoy Torpedo. It's one of the few that seem balanced to me.
I think I expected more aroma. When I think of IIPAs I expect firework aromatics. I got more malt and bitterness than anything with this one. I did like it a lot, its just not what I expected. Maybe mine was a bit older.... dunno:mug: 7.2% cant be bad........

I've done about 7 all grain batches now and this one is the best yet.

This was fly sparged and put a total of 6 gallons into (2) 4gal carboys for 2 weeks, then dry hopped in 6gal carboy for another week.

2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Back