Imperial Stout Aging Technique ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am now considering brewing an imperial stout to be aged 6-12 months before tasting it. I am just wondering where the 6-12 month aging process is supposed to take place, in secondary or in the bottle? I am concerned that after 12 months in secondary carbonating may be a problem at bottling?

Maybe two weeks in primary, a month in secondary and then bottle? I am just not sure and I don't want to put all the $$$, time and effort into such a big beer and ruin it. Any advice would be appreciated!

I brewed a RIS more than 9 months ago for this winter. I did 2 months in Primary and then bottled and stashed in a bedroom closet.

They are great right now, had one yesterday :)

I brewed a RIS more than 9 months ago for this winter. I did 2 months in Primary and then bottled and stashed in a bedroom closet.

They are great right now, had one yesterday :)

Did you just use the normal 2/3 or so cup of priming sugar for the five gallon batch?

Also, if it is tasty, you want to share the recipe with me , all grain if possible.

Also, are RIP's supposed to be heavy on hop arroma or just bittering?

Did you just use the normal 2/3 or so cup of priming sugar for the five gallon batch?

Also, if it is tasty, you want to share the recipe with me , all grain if possible.

Also, are RIP's supposed to be heavy on hop arroma or just bittering?

I believe I did just the standard 1oz/gallon for priming. If you are going to age this, I don't see much point in giving it a bunch of hop aroma as it will disappear a lot in the aging time.

Here is the thread I had when I put this together with the recipe. I was still pretty newbiish when I made this but it turned out pretty darn tasty.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bi...n-imperial-stout-anything-i-need-know-101832/

Pics
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/brewed-up-ris-took-some-pictures-102500/

Back