This can't be ready for secondary, can it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
The bubbling has stopped (since this morning), and the level in the air lock is almost equal on both sides. Primary began late Saturday night. I ran a high gravity yeast, so I'm not sure how that would change times/rates.

So, 2 questions:

1.) Is it ready to rack?
2.) Should I throw in some nutrient when I rack it, to make sure I can get this thing carbonated?

Thanks.

P.S. PM's are best, so I can't miss a response.

Personally, I'd say that if it's stopped bubbling, primary fermentation is complete. I'd rack it to secondary anytime between now and Saturday. Take a hydrometer reading when you do that. If it is significantly lower than your original gravity, then you're gold. I bet it is.

I'd let it sit a few more days even if primary fermentation is complete. I 'd give it a complete week. Then transfer over to secondary, or rack to bottling bucket. No nutrient needed. Just add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket and make sure it mixes completely.

Nothing wrong with going the complete 7 days. My primary fementation normally only takes 4-6 days, but I leave it the full 7, then secondary for at least 2.

slainte

Back