Base malt : Torrified Wheat Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Since the wheat has no diastatic power, how much base malt will I need to convert the wheat? I read somewhere that base malt with convert nearly it's same weight in wheat.

My problem is, I ordered my grains and had them bagged together because I didn't even think about the conversion of the wheat. The bag contains 1lb torr. wheat and only 1/2lb UK 2 Row. It's also got some small amounts of some specialty grains that have very low diastatic power... Am I going to be in trouble here?

I would LOVE an answer quick because I'm heading back into town for a meeting and it's over an hour to the LHBS from my house!

Is this a partial mash? Why torrified wheat?

If you want it to convert, might as well pick up another pound of 2-row.

UK 2 row has very low diastatic power. It can convert itself and have some diastatic power left over to convert some adjuncts.
I've never had a problem with conversion of 10% adjuncts, and it could probably convert a higher percentage, but 200% adjuncts is just not going to happen.

-a.

Pick up a pound or even 3/4th pound of 6-row, it has plenty of enzymes to convert adjuncts.

Back