no cake in vial of Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just picked up a vial of WLP645, Brettanomyces claussenii, from my LHBS. Unlike all the other White Labs yeast I've used (all Saccharomyces), there was no cake/plug of yeast in the bottom - just a cloudy, amber/copper colored liquid in the vial.

Is this normal?

I got the 650 and had a small cake. Supposedly they do not have as many cells in the Brett vials, because they are assuming you are using it as a secondary yeast and do not need to provide sufficient yeast to start a Primary.

..... Just want to add, I don't agree they provide enough in their Sac vials.

I suspect it's just all in suspension.

From their website:

Q: I just bought one vial of brettanomyces brux WLP650. I have used White Labs "normal" ale yeast in the past and have noticed that there is usually a 1-2 inch pellet ( yeast cake) at the bottom of the tube. WLP650 has a very small pellet (1-2 millimeters) at the bottom. Is there still the same number of yeast cells in a vial of brettanomyces as saccaromyces?

A: This sounds normal, as we do not concentrate the brettanomyces. Therefore, you won't see a thick layer in the tube. The cultures are generally 50 million cells/ml.

From their website:

Q: I just bought one vial of brettanomyces brux WLP650. I have used White Labs "normal" ale yeast in the past and have noticed that there is usually a 1-2 inch pellet ( yeast cake) at the bottom of the tube. WLP650 has a very small pellet (1-2 millimeters) at the bottom. Is there still the same number of yeast cells in a vial of brettanomyces as saccaromyces?

A: This sounds normal, as we do not concentrate the brettanomyces. Therefore, you won't see a thick layer in the tube. The cultures are generally 50 million cells/ml.

Excellent. Thanks!

Back