Options for under carbing bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
Hey gang, through the grapevine I found out that I shorted my bottles a bit on priming sugar while bottling. I was using the standard 2/3 cup of corn sugar, and come to find out I should be measuring out 5oz by weight. I've since got a electric balence for future use. Here's the issue. I bottled 3 batches like this in the past 2 weeks. Are they all going to turn out under carbonated? Is there anything I can do besides move them to a warmer area and pray? Thanks .

Hi AZ, no worries. My standard (and I think for many other brewers, too) starting point is 4 ounces of corn or priming sugar. 4 ounces will usually yield about 3/4 cup for corn sugar or 2/3 cup for white (cane sugar). Bottom line is that your bottles will carb up just fine. Are they in a warmish place (70ish)?

Cheers!

ALthough we recommend measuring by wieight not volume, thousands of batches of beer have been bottled with that amount of sugar and turned out fine.

Relax....

In the basement now it's like 62 - 63 ish....upstairs is like 67. Should i move them up??

Back