Fermentation Question - Coopes Lager Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PompeyNovice

Reaction score
Hi Beers Lover,
My first homebrew has been fermenting for 6 days now and has almost ceased bubbling.

I took my first 'hydro' reading this morning and it reads 1012 - so nearly there I think.

However - I have one question - I sampled a small but and it has a little bit of fizzyness - is this normal ?

Feedback greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers.

PompeyNovice

PS: Temp is 20-22ish constantly and beer smells good.

Yes, the yesat is making CO2 and even though it is not under much pressure in your fermenter, it will still have some slight carbonation. I tasted 2 last night, and yes, slight carbonation.

Different styles of beer will finish with small amounts of co2 disolved in solution. So yes this is normal.

If you transfer to a secondary, you'll notice an increase in the airlock activity. This is some of that disolved co2 coming out of solution.

The best thing you can do for your beer right now is to keep it at a steady temperature, not exposed to any light and leave it alone for 2-3 more weeks.

This is the hardest part for a new brewer but in the end you'll be rewarded.:rockin:

Bull

Cheers for your feedback guys - that sounds good, just wanted to check.

I will move this to bottles when properly finished.
In my eagerness I have already purchased my next batch which is a Munton European Lager - so the idea is to having rolling belt or alternatively - TO NEVER RUN OUT AGAIN. :)

Will be in touch soon.

PompeyNovice

PS. I noticed that when I took the hydro reading a beer really was trickling out, is the lead too tight/ is that a problem ? As I dont want to adjust the lid at this critical stage.

Cheers for your feedback guys - that sounds good, just wanted to check.

I will move this to bottles when properly finished.
In my eagerness I have already purchased my next batch which is a Munton European Lager - so the idea is to having rolling belt or alternatively - TO NEVER RUN OUT AGAIN. :)

Will be in touch soon.

PompeyNovice

PS. I noticed that when I took the hydro reading a beer really was trickling out, is the lead too tight/ is that a problem ? As I dont want to adjust the lid at this critical stage.

Your "rolling belt" idea is what many here call a "pipeline". :)

I would adjust the lid if you think you need it, just be careful not to splash too much. Anytime after fermentation you don't want to splash because you don't want to oxidize the beer. Oxidizing the beer means that it will begin to taste funny after a certain amount of time -- essentially it shortens the shelf-life of your beer.

On your first batch I'm not sure that will matter quite as much, since you will probably drink it relatively quickly! It's mainly something to keep in mind for later, when you've got your pipeline in place or when you're making a beer you want to age for a while. :drunk:

FWIW, when you take a hydrometer reading in a beer that is still fermenting, make sure that you don't get a lot of CO2 bubbles sticking to the bottom of the hydrometer. This will throw your readings off. I usually spin my hydrometer, like a top, when it is in the beer and that seems to work ok.

FWIW, when you take a hydrometer reading in a beer that is still fermenting, make sure that you don't get a lot of CO2 bubbles sticking to the bottom of the hydrometer. This will throw your readings off. I usually spin my hydrometer, like a top, when it is in the beer and that seems to work ok.

I've seen this recommended quite often. I do it, too, though I've never noticed (yet) a difference between pre-spin and post-spin.

Hello Beers Lover,

My first brew (god im excited) has a hydro reading of 1010 this morning.
It had the same reading at midnight last night circa 24.00.

Shall I leave in there for another 24 hours in your opinions?

Let me know if you can.

Cheers Guys

PompeyNovice

Here is some good advice.

Stop messing with your beer! Every time you open the lid, you expose it to oxygen.

In the early stages, its not so bad because the oxygen is quickly replaced by co2.

Now that your beer is mostly finished fermenting, there is very little co2 being produced, so the oxygen is left in the head space.

As stated in my earlier post, forget about it for a couple of weeks and you will be rewarded with a very nice homebrew:)

The waiting is the hardest part!

Bull

Hi Bukkinachinashop,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Just to note - I havent opened the fermenter lid for 7 days, I have taken the reading via the tap using the hudrometer therefore no air get in right.

My instructins (Coopers Lager Extract) state that a reading of 1008 - 1010 is what is needed to remove beer and place in keg/bottles (I am using bottles).

I will then leave it in the bottles for a minimum of two weeks before tasting the prize.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

TheNovice

Your beer will benefit the most from time spent on the yeast cake. I would leave it in the primary fermenter on the cake for a minimum of 3 weeks and then bottle. It will take about 10 days to carb up properly after that. 2 weeks is better.

Good luck,

Bull

Hi Bukkinachinashop,

My instructins (Coopers Lager Extract) state that a reading of 1008 - 1010 is what is needed to remove beer and place in keg/bottles (I am using bottles).

TheNovice

Forget the kit instructions! they also advise 1kg corn sugar with is "wrong" coopers kit are way better with DME

I would let it sit for another 24-48 hours. You will see the yeast fall to the bottom and clear out the beer. Also after fermentation yeast clean up and digest some of the off chemicals that they have made, depending on the yeast and type of beer you made.

Back