Keezer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I just got a freezer 10.3 cu ft. SWMBO was very supportive of the project, as it is starting to get warm outside and neither of us like warm beer. Now that it is time to put it somewhere, she is not so excited. Only our kitchen has hard floors, with carpet all throughout the rest of the house. What are chances a keezer will leak?

I am thinking of attaching the lid to the collar and adding insulating foam inside the rim. I have seen a few threads but do not want to attach the collar permanently. I have used liquid nails before, I know how permanent it is. I would like to have the option of changing the tap locations in the future or adding a fermenting chamber off one side down the road. What other ways are there to attach the keezer lids?

Use the existing lid mounting holes in the rear of the keezer to secure it w/ brackets. The other three sides you can use a double board collar. For example a 2X4 flush, and a 1X6 overlapping the freezer sides. Or just use ge silicone sparingly, and you likely can clean it off if you have a change of heart.

Only our kitchen has hard floors, with carpet all throughout the rest of the house. What are chances a keezer will leak?

Mine is going on carpet, too. I am going to seal the inside gaps in the aluminum sides and bottom with clear silicone sealant.
Not going to leak at all. :mug:

The other three sides you can use a double board collar. For example a 2X4 flush, and a 1X6 overlapping the freezer sides. Or just use ge silicone sparingly, and you likely can clean it off if you have a change of heart.

Thanks I will try some silicone to attach.

As far as designs. I was thinking of a double collar. 2" foam board inner flush with the lid and 1x6 boards overlapping. I still need to get the freezer out of the vehicle and take a look at how everything may fit.

As far as silicone in the gaps will this be necessary to prevent leaking?

I attached my hinges this way:
20100316-DSC_5182.jpg

Rest of the pics over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/behold-keezer-pics-168688/

As far as silicone in the gaps will this be necessary to prevent leaking?

I think so (JMHO). Why take a chance when it will be sitting on carpet in my living room. With the freezer running at 38-42 degrees, you may get a bit of moisture on the inside. Not like when its at 0 degrees and it freezes to the inside walls. I’ll also use some type of dehumidifier inside. Living in Florida, humidity is always a concern.

I attached my collar to the lid using hanger bolts. I laid out my finished collar on the lid and marked on the collar where the existing holes of the lid are. I then screwed the hanger bolts into the collar, then threaded the collar onto the lid with lock nuts.

That way, if I ever want to replace my collar, it's not a huge deal. I don't have pictures though. :(

Back