Show us your first Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrau

Reaction score
I was looking through my old brewing log and got a bit nostalgic. Here is the first brew from 1986. Note I repurposed a grad school notebook for a better cause.

Hard to believe I called it "Delicious!" I had no refrigeration in my apartment. So I "lagered" it at 80 (!). Lots of corn sugar. FG 1.000? This was before the internet, mind you.

What does your first look like?

Scan001.jpg

Mine were a kit/kilo wheat kit a very slightly altered version of Alton Brown's recipe (boiled grains and all!). Both were quite drinkable, but far from delicious! I don't have pictures or detailed notes, just memories from a few years ago.

My first ever was OFlanns Standard Stout on here which me and my friend kinda messed up by putting in the whole pound of roasted barley, but still turned out to be decent beer (imagine that!). My 2nd was a Gluten Free Extract, and my third was my first recipe, my Foreign Extra Stout in my recipe dropdown. I have learned every bit of info from the internet. BeerSmith has helped me immensely as well.

Mine was a hefeweizen that I fermented in an unventilated closet next to an exterior wall when it was 100 degrees out. I'm guessing it fermented at 85-88 degrees. Hello banana and all sorts of other off flavors!

Eric

I believe mine was 6 pounds of extract and about a pound of steeping grains. One 60 minute hop addition and it made a porter. I didn't write it down and I didn't keep the instruction sheet. I knew it was just a stepping stone.

Just goes to show how much this hobby has changed and improved.
My first batch around 15 years ago was a basic pre-hopped kit with table sugar. I cooled it by throwing in commercial ice which caused it to start going bad in 4 weeks (tasting more like a bad cider). I threw a party and some good old boys drank it all before it went totally bad.
After that I was making OK beer for years. With improved ingredients, equipment, processes I'm now making good to great beer. Oh, and hanging out here has dramatically helped also. :mug:

Back