Steeped specialty grain at too high temp, stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I was using the long through the lid thermometer to maintain water temp in my brew pot. I thought I was steeping my specialty grains at 170° but out of curiosity I checked it with the real thermometer that came with my brew kit and it said 192°! I turned the flame off & did another check with an short "instant" digital thermometer and got the same 192° reading.

Should I stop now & toss the juice? I could get some new grain from my LHBS but that would probably be a bit of a show stopper for the brew day.

What do you think???

How long did they steep?You should be fine either way.Your only going for flavor anyway so I doubt it's going to be too detremental to your beer.

I'm assuming you already used/tossed it,but if you didn't taste it.If it tastes harsh or bitter chuck it.If not than no problems my friend.Brew the beer.

I didn't think to taste it at the time but it smelled like a ball of malto meal - not burnt. After your suggestion I did ring a little out of the grain sack and it tasted OK, not burnt or off.

Hopefully it's all good, I'm boiling away. By the way, I am going to add some Irish Moss this time. When does that get added in?

Edit: Found it - last 15 mins of the boil

I didn't think to taste it at the time but it smelled like a ball of malto meal - not burnt. After your suggestion I did ring a little out of the grain sack and it tasted OK, not burnt or off.

Hopefully it's all good, I'm boiling away. By the way, I am going to add some Irish Moss this time. When does that get added in?

I like to rehydrate a teaspoon of Irish moss when I start boiling. Then, with 10 minutes left, pour it all in. It works better if you rehydrate.

You will likely get a slightly off-flavor from the grains, a slight bitter tinge present in the finish. These, I think, are the astringents that got released at the high temp.

Don't worry, the beer will likely be very drinkable - this happened to a porter a did and though I detected the mistake, a lot of people didn't notice and complemented on the beer.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back