Your Greatest Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I found an old list of my bottle cap codes and came across my SBB (Sleeper Blown Bitter) listed.

Got me thinking how many others have screwed up brewing but ended up with the best Beer you can never re-create.

The SBB started as a 5 gallon AG ESB. I was drinking heavily that day trying to empty enough bottles for the batch that needed bottling this was BK(Before Kegs) and my buddy who was supposed to help empty bottles couldn't come.

The day starts like any other brew day. Later I put the wort to boil and clean up. Once I boiled down I did the first Hop addition, then had one beer too many. Set my watch and went inside started watching TV.. A while later I woke up panicked because I realized I had a boil going. My wife gave me a disgusted look (for being passed out in the afternoon) and told me she cut the flame about 30 minutes before, I really have no idea how long it boiled at least 4 hours.

When I checked it thinking about the mess there was still about a gallon and or so of sludge left in the keggle, So I topped it off called it 30 min when it re-boiled put in more hops, and said What the hell, worst thing at this point is wasting .5oz of hops
When I finished up, and my Straw colored brew was black, 6 weeks later it became one of my most popular brews It was light bodied, dark and bitter with a very sweet malt aftertaste.

My greatest brewing screw up and one of my best beers. A recipe that can never be duplicated.

sounds like you know exactly how to 'recreate' the recipe! haha
tell you're wife to help you document it b/c ur gonna have to get drunk to get it duplicated the 2nd time.

That is totally awesome. I'm going to get ****-faced drunk the next time I brew and see what happens. Hopefully SWMBO will watch my boil.

Probably not.

Back