Anyone ever taught themselves to play guitar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
My daughter (9) wants to take guitar lessons, so to that end we're getting her a 3/4 size acoustic guitar for Christmas and we'll look at lesson for her after the holidays.

Any chance an old dude like me (47) stands any chance to teach himself to play some guitar? No way I'm taking any actual lessons. I do have a music background from my school days, so I can already read music and whatnot. Anyone have any success teaching themselves? Or am I just fooling myself thinking I could do it? What's the best approach?

I taught myself at about 15. You can absolutely teach yourself. There are plenty of beginner type warm up exercises and finger training things to do, and I'd say start each session working with those a little but they can get boring and tedious, as can the "learn guitar" books. I did it by learning to play songs that I liked. Not even the entire song in most cases, just a catchy part that was my difficulty level. Be warned though that my method ended up with me being able to play from tabs (a way of graphically depicting guitar music) but not from sheet music at all. You could learn that also though I'm sure, I just had no real need for it.

Pick up a chord book, learn the basic chord fingerings, learn to read guitar tablature so you can pick up favorite songs...... and go from there. Thats a good year or two of riffing to get you started, and with no lessons needed. Lessons are for people to learn specific styles/techniques to be more formally trained, or for beginners who have to be told how to even hold a pick right.

I taught myself at about 15. You can absolutely teach yourself. There are plenty of beginner type warm up exercises and finger training things to do, and I'd say start each session working with those a little but they can get boring and tedious, as can the "learn guitar" books. I did it by learning to play songs that I liked. Not even the entire song in most cases, just a catchy part that was my difficulty level. Be warned though that my method ended up with me being able to play from tabs (a way of graphically depicting guitar music) but not from sheet music at all. You could learn that also though I'm sure, I just had no real need for it.

Reading regular sheet music comes in handy in some situations. I've picked out melodies and even chord changes from hymnals if I sit down with it. But for 90% of people who will only play with other guitarists and such, its totally unnessesary and won't advance your progress.

With that said, I DO suggest to everyone that they understand basic music theory. Understand the difference between major and minor, diminished, and suspended chords. Understand the major and minor scale and how to use it in constructing harmony. These are like basic laws of music that once grasped you can understand what people are actually doing instead of thinking "dang how do they sound like that?"

Haven't done it myself, but I know 5-6 people who have. Since you have some background & already read music, a chord book is a very good place to start.

I taught myself for over 5 years now.

It all started with a tab of "Smoke on the Water"

I never bothered to learn to read music.:p

The ability to read sheet music won't help you all that much while learning guitar.

That you understand the scales and music theory will.

+1 to learning chords and pick up a chord book for an artist or genre that you like. If you play songs you like you'll be more apt to continue. And don't discount lessons. You find the right instructor and it is not "Do this and come back next week" but more like a jam session. You'll learn 10x faster by playing with someone better than you instead of playing by yourself.

Thanks fellas. Glad to head that it's do-able...at least in theory. Whether I can muster to determination to do it remains to be seen.

Will I be hampered much doing this on my daughter's 3/4 size guitar with my big mitts? Can't really justify buying myself a full size guitar unless I actually get into it.

With that said, I DO suggest to everyone that they understand basic music theory. Understand the difference between major and minor, diminished, and suspended chords. Understand the major and minor scale and how to use it in constructing harmony. These are like basic laws of music that once grasped you can understand what people are actually doing instead of thinking "dang how do they sound like that?"

That's true, I guess I forgot to mention that I had about a 10 year history of other musical instruments. I could read sheet music, I just never applied it to guitar.

You can certainly teach yourself guitar. Learn a few "open" chords and start with simple things like CCR used to play. If you already understand music then you can teach yourself any instrument.

Timing and rhythm, on the other hand, are a bit trickier. Some say you either got it or you don't. Since you said you had music from your schooling days, I doubt rhythm will be an issue.

The one thing that is paramount to learn is proper tuning!!! An out-of-tune guitar will make you think you are doing something wrong even if your fingers are in the right places. Buy a tuner and a metronome and use 'em both.

Good luck, future rocker! :mug:

-Tripod

Thanks fellas. Glad to head that it's do-able...at least in theory. Whether I can muster to determination to do it remains to be seen.

Will I be hampered much doing this on my daughter's 3/4 size guitar with my big mitts? Can't really justify buying myself a full size guitar unless I actually get into it.

You can get a decent Jasmine by Takamine for right about $100. The last thing you want to do is try to play a guitar that isn't comfortable or "fun" for you. You won't continue playing if it doesn't feel/work right. You can get a good starter guitar that will last you years for under $200 very easy. Yamaha makes a great gitbox at a good value.

It's the same thing with acoustic vs electric guitars. If all the music you listen to is heavy in electric guitar and you don't listen to anything with acoustic guitar then chances are you won't have fun with an acoustic. I've taught kids to play guitar that didn't want to play acoustic but the parents ignored that advice and threw the money away. Kids learn how to play and then quit because they can't play the music they want on that guitar.

Buy a tuner and a metronome and use 'em both.

I actually have a metronome with a tuner. I still occasionally play my old horn and use the metronome while doing exercises.

You can get a decent Jasmine by Takamine for right about $100. The last thing you want to do is try to play a guitar that isn't comfortable or "fun" for you. You won't continue playing if it doesn't feel/work right. You can get a good starter guitar that will last you years for under $200 very easy. Yamaha makes a great gitbox at a good value.

It's the same thing with acoustic vs electric guitars. If all the music you listen to is heavy in electric guitar and you don't listen to anything with acoustic guitar then chances are you won't have fun with an acoustic. I've taught kids to play guitar that didn't want to play acoustic but the parents ignored that advice and threw the money away. Kids learn how to play and then quit because they can't play the music they want on that guitar.

Yeah, it'll definitely be acoustic. While we've been talking about me in this thread, the guitar will actually be for my 9 year old daughter. To that end, what do you think of this for her:

Squier by Fender MA-1 3/4-Size Steel String Acoustic Guitar and more Travel and Mini Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

It's a 3/4 size which the various guides suggest it the right size for her age. And we have a Guitar Center locally here. How much smaller is a 3/4 size than a standard guitar?

You can do it. I taught myself to play over a summer when I was in high school. Do a search on the web for your favorite band's songs. Tabs are easy as hell to read and as long as you stick with it and don't quit after thinking you'll never get down chord changes, you'll be fine. Once your fingers start doing what your head is telling them to, you can work your way up to more complicated music.

I started off playing a lot of Dave Matthews. I liked it because it wasn't just your everyday G D Em C chord progression. It's fun to play and sounds awesome.

: waves :

I've been playing for well over 10 years now. Taught myself but had a music background before I played guitar (it all started with that trombone in 3rd grade).

Since you already read sheet mucis, it'll be a much easier journey. Just learn your scales first and just remember to practice practice practice....you'll do just fine.

I taught myself to play the piano when I was 8 years old. I taught myself to play the guitar when I was about 38. The piano was easier, because I was younger! I could read music and play a number of different instruments growing up just by picking them up, though, so I had some musical ability.

It's not difficult at all, especially if you have some musical talent. I've quit both recently, though, just because of lack of time. I sold my big piano, but still have a couple of guitars.

I don't know how big a 3/4 guitar is, or how big she is. I don't think a "regular" guitar is all that big, though. Is she a small girl so that she'd have trouble with a regular sized guitar? I think when my daughter had a 3/4 sized violin, she played it for only about a year before needing to go to the full sized instrument. I'm not sure about the sizes, though. I'm sure a music store would be more helpful than I am!

I started about 9 months ago. guitartricks.com is a great site. They have some free lessons, but for $10/month you have access to the full site.

I don't know how big a 3/4 guitar is, or how big she is. I don't think a "regular" guitar is all that big, though. Is she a small girl so that she'd have trouble with a regular sized guitar?

According to the charts I found, a 3/4 size guitar is 38 inches in overall length, with a scale length of 22.75 inches. A full size is 40-42 in overall length, with a scale length of 24.75 or 25.5 inches. The 3/4 size is recomended for ages 9-10. She's 9. If she was a generous sized boy I'd be inclined to get a full size, but she's a rather petite girl and I'd hate to get her something that would be overly large and difficult to handle. If she sticks with it for a year or more then I won't mind getting her a new one.

Frankly, I doubt she'll really stick with it. I think she likes the idea of playing guitar more than she'll like the actual work involved with doing it. But you never know.

Frankly, I doubt she'll really stick with it. I think she likes the idea of playing guitar more than she'll like the actual work involved with doing it. But you never know.

She's right on the edge for 3/4 or full scale and if you don't think she'll stick with it you may want to get the full size gitbox. On a steel string full size dred, I don't think you'll be running into the scale or neck being to much, but the depth of the body. An inexpensive acoustic/electric with a thin neck profile would suit her well. I tend to shy away from recommending 3/4 sized for older kids because the quality is usually sub-par on the less expensive models. They become more "toylike" than instrument.

The big challenge is making it fun enough for her to want to stick to with it. Two and three chord songs where she can sing the song (because what little girl doesn't love singing?) as she plays are what her instructor should be looking for. If you end up getting someone that tries to teach her theory, start looking for a new instructor.

She's right on the edge for 3/4 or full scale and if you don't think she'll stick with it you may want to get the full size gitbox. On a steel string full size dred, I don't think you'll be running into the scale or neck being to much, but the depth of the body. An inexpensive acoustic/electric with a thin neck profile would suit her well. I tend to shy away from recommending 3/4 sized for older kids because the quality is usually sub-par on the less expensive models. They become more "toylike" than instrument.

The big challenge is making it fun enough for her to want to stick to with it. Two and three chord songs where she can sing the song (because what little girl doesn't love singing?) as she plays are what her instructor should be looking for. If you end up getting someone that tries to teach her theory, start looking for a new instructor.

Thanks. Good things to consider. I'll head into the Guitar Center next week and talk to them and see what they say. I'm not sure what sort of staff they have, but hopefully it'll be someone who can steer me in a direction that I feel confident about.

Dude, check out the pawn shops in your area. Just make sure to eyeball the neck and make sure its not worped or the top is buckled. (this happens from being stored in high heat/humidity situations)

My prized acoustic was made by Martin in the 70's so its high quality, but is only "worth" 500 bucks since it was manufactured in japan under a different name. My father got it in a pawn shop with some scratches that buffed right out for 70 bucks.

70 dollars and it blows away any martin under 1000 bucks in guitar center, most anything under a thousand dollars except for maybe a couple loower priced takamenies or taylors.

Eddie learned to play by himself, but his dad was a jazz musician, and Eddie himself played piano for years before, so he already had plenty of music under his belt.

Of course, you can learn to play without lessons, but why not take them? The instructor won't care how old you are, or what you want to play. He'll just be happy that he's getting paid, and will be especially glad to have a student that practices!

+1 on learning chords, and if you can learn some music theory, it will help even more (basics like major/minor, etc.) If you want to play songs, then learn the chords and practice your songs. If you want to create your own stuff, then do that plus learn scales and theory.

You can find music in tab format on line. Google search guitar tab and look for your favorite group/song.

Thanks. Good things to consider. I'll head into the Guitar Center next week and talk to them and see what they say. I'm not sure what sort of staff they have, but hopefully it'll be someone who can steer me in a direction that I feel confident about.

I'd ask her instructor over anyone in Guitar Center if your GC is anything like the one I go to.

It's always a "Dude, this one goes to 11" crowd that works there. BR3WT4L!

Hey StunnedMonkey--

I too have a music background. Play most brass instruments and piano. You can definitely teach yourself. All the previous posts are great advice. Also there are several 'series' of video lessons on YouTube. The two that I like are:

Justin Sandercoe
iLearnToPlay

iLearnToPlay has really nice tab charts accompanied by the video lesson.

There are MANY on YouTube, but these have been good for me. iLearn is great for chord lessons and visuals.

I'd ask her instructor over anyone in Guitar Center if your GC is anything like the one I go to.

It's always a "Dude, this one goes to 11" crowd that works there. BR3WT4L!

I hear you. Unfortunately she doesn't yet have an instructor, and she'll be getting the guitar for christmas before getting an instructor.

That's my fear about the guitar center, which I've never actually been to. I may have to make a few trips until I can find someone who's interested in actually helping me make a good choice.

I taught myself at about 18, but I'm sure that lessons would have been a lot better. Picked up the old girl a few months ago after years of neglect(kids, life, etc.).

I pretty much suck, but can still hit a power chord!:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Of course you can. In fact chances are taking lessons from someone who had not attened a "real" music school may very well have been self taught anyway. I had several teachers back in my 20's (because they quit or I did) and each had a differennt style and approach right down to how to hold my hands. Watching famous guitar players on TV and how they use their hands and fingers I see they all do it differently. I think that in part is what style you want to play and what you feel comfortable with. Perfect way is if you can get someone who you admire the style and talent of and get them to teach you. If you had NO music background I would suggest a teacher to at least point you in the right direction, but having that I think you can figure it out yourself if that is what you want to do.

Just wanted to update in that I bought a guitar for my daughter. I'm sure that ultimately there were better choices I could have made, but I'm comfortable with this one and I think she'll be happy with it. I went with a 3/4 size Yamaha, at $119 on sale. I was torn between going with a full size rather than the 3/4 size (and really I'd rather have gotten her a full size) but in the end it was about what I felt like she'd be comfortable with, and given her petite size I think she'll like the 3/4 size right now. If she takes to it, I don't mind buying her another.

Of course it seems small for me, but even though the thread was about whether I could teach myself, the actual guitar is hers. I'll fool with it. If it seems like I can make some headway in learning some things, I'll go ahead and buy one for myself. :)

Latest posts

Back