Not Bubbling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Hefeweisen on thursday and I have not noticed any bubbles from the airlock yet. Is the beer not fermenting? If I open it up to read the gravity will that set it back at all? I also used a yeast activator so I dont understand why this is happening.

Are you using a plastic bucket? Sometimes the gas finds an easier way out than through the airlock. Have a peek in there and see if you can see any evidence of fermentation, ie. foam on top (kreausen) or a ring of gunk (trub) around the top of the beer.

More recipe info will help troublshoot too.

I used plastic to ferment. Just peaked inside and there is some light brownish foam and some gunk around the edges. That looks like a good sign. This brew is actually starting to smell real nice.

I also shook it up a little bit and it is bubbling a bit.

That sounds like a good enough aeration. Hmm... If it doesn't do anything in the next day then I might consider trying to pitch in some more yeast (and aerating again).

may depend on ur air lock u r using i hav two fermenters 2 different airlocks 1 bubbles 1 does not but the 1 that dont still ferments so it still works

chask31 said:
I used plastic to ferment. Just peaked inside and there is some light brownish foam and some gunk around the edges. That looks like a good sign. This brew is actually starting to smell real nice.

I also shook it up a little bit and it is bubbling a bit.

If there is foam and gunk, it is fermenting. Leave it alone. The gas is probably escaping from a leak in the plastic at the moment. It should pick up in the next 24 hours.

The fermenting has stopped for the past 2 days. I am not using a secondary since I do not have one. Thursday will be 1 week in the fermenter. When should I bottle the beer?

My hefe did the same thing, we must be twins! No seriously, if it is done doing it's thing, ie..no bubbles, get a secondary and siphon to that. Trust me, it's worth it to settle out the gunk, after all, it's a hefe, it's gonna be cloudy enough without help. A glass carboy is a good investment. Let it settle in there a week, then bottle.:mug:

Well, it is my first brew and I did not really want to buy the carboy until I made my second brew. I guess I will have to think about that.

Before I rack to a secondary, do I need to wait for the foam to settle?

If I go straight to the bottles without a secondary, how long should I wait?

chask31 said:
Before I rack to a secondary, do I need to wait for the foam to settle?
Yes, that's the usual suggestion.

chask31 said:
If I go straight to the bottles without a secondary, how long should I wait?
When I used to brew with a single fermenter, I would leave it in the thing for 2 weeks before bottling.

Speaking from personal (recent) experience, if you don't use a starter and your yeast is relatively old, it can take quite a while for fermentation to get going. My last batch didn't show a bubble for over 36 hours after I pitched, but is now rockin' away.

I broke down and bought a glass carboy. Only 20 bucks at the local store. Once the foam settles I am going to siphon the beer into that.

NOW your brewin - trust me one taste of that inaugural brew youll be ordering more
grain and more equipment to feed the beast.... :)

Back