taking a reading..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumptrucksally

Reaction score
I brewed a batch on April 13th... The fermentation went quick and now i want to take a reading to see where my gravity stands.

I have it in a 6 gallon Carboy.. What is the best way to take a reading without infecting and or disturbing the yeast cake??

Or should i just wait one more week and rack....

Wine thief if you have it, if not then just use your racking tube. Stick it in the neck and use your mouth to start it. Since you are only taking a reading and you are not going to put the sample back in the carboy, you will be fine. Just make sure to sanitize your tube first.

I just use a turkey baster. Sanitize it and it fits just fine down into the neck of my carboy.

Yes, you want to put enough in the test jar so that the hydrometer floats and doesn't rest on the bottom. I usually put the hydromter into the test jar gently, and then add the beer to it, so that I can see how much to add. When it floats, it's enough. (A few times in the past, I added too much and always made a mess).

I used to use the turkey baster as well; before better bottles with the racker-thingy.

The baster works just fine.

dumptrucksally said:
How much do i need? Just enough to fit the hydrometer into right..
I usually dip the baster in there three times...Gives me enough to float the hydrometer and get a good sample for taste testing.

Back