I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the weekend I got a call that my father passed away. 24 hours later I got a second call that his wife also passed away. I realize there are numerous silver linings about going together and each of them not having to mourn, but damn its a lot for one weekend. He was a good man and amazingly devoted to his wife of 20+ years.

LRB. It is never easy losing loved ones and you and your family have my deepest condolences.

I wasn't going to post this because VF-161 was not included. Bad-151 one was though - those show offs! Veterans Day only a week ago I'm still feeling nostalgic of my most exciting days way back when.

1985 aboard USS Midway I was part of the Midwaymagic. Obviously just a junior enlisted, but well trained and super eager to fix airplanes. The ship was a living being. It was us all

Last edited by a moderator:
If you watch the show to the end you'll hear about the best deck crew ever. It's true. The USS Midway was at sea so much back in the day that we were able to launch more jets off the deck per minute with two catapults than the four cat aircraft carriers. I'm not saying that as propaganda shoved down my throat. I witnessed it first hand during carrier war stateside carrier didn't have the efficiency.
D
So well we blew the socks of launching and recovering jets Theo USS Midway aircraft carrier's flight deck crew was amazing. Fast paced,, each movement crucial. To life. I can't say enough good stuff about those guys. The flight deck,,,,if not the entire crew at sea on an aircraft carrier is a great symphony in motion. Truly

The flight deck was very smooth and efficient. That did change after a six month EISREP. And significant deck crew replacement turnover then it got scary. The flight deck is always dangerous. But with the turnover of personnel it got scary. Time and experience aboard a busy warship changed that for the better.

Good morning. All quite here. Few 911's here and there and the crews are knocking them out as they come in. My stack of paperwork is slowly getting smaller. Temps getting colder outside as a expected cold front moves in today. It's supposed to be in the 20's by this time tomorrow night which is pretty chilly for us in Alabama in November.

KT

Good morning. All quite here. Few 911's here and there and the crews are knocking them out as they come in. My stack of paperwork is slowly getting smaller. Temps getting colder outside as a expected cold front moves in today. It's supposed to be in the 20's by this time tomorrow night which is pretty chilly for us in Alabama in November.

KT

Thank you for your selfless service bigken (I had to convince spell check your handle wasn't big men)

Cheers!

Pappy, being the nostalgic person I am, I was looking through the riddle thread tonight. I saw your first reply, first answer in the thread; you might not remember but your reply was splinter. Just one word. We,'d gotten to know each other on other threads and through them I'd gained great respect for you but I had no idea your answer was correct. In fact I'm pretty sure I was blatantly ignorant.

Splinter was the correct answer but I didn't realize it at the time. I was blind. I went on to keep saying I hope somebody would figure out the answer. Ischiavo saw your correct answer and acknowledged it. I still didn't understand you nailed the answer immediately. It's a bit embarrassing on my part looking back. Man, I sure was lost on that riddle. Thanks Pappy and Ischiavo for the guys you are. I was a fool, might still be[emoji3]

Pappy, being the nostalgic person I am, I was looking through the riddle thread tonight. I saw your first reply, first answer in the thread; you might not remember but your reply was splinter. Just one word. We,'d gotten to know each other on other threads and through them I'd gained great respect for you but I had no idea your answer was correct. In fact I'm pretty sure I blatantly ignored it!

Splinter was the correct answer but I didn't realize it at the time. I was blind. I went on to keep saying I hope somebody would figure out the answer. Ischiavo saw your correct answer and acknowledged it. I still didn't understand you nailed the answer immediately. It's a bit embarrassing on my part looking back. Man, I sure was lost on that riddle. Thanks Pappy and Ischiavo for the guys you are. I was a fool, might still be[emoji3]

Don't waste sleep on it Dan. It's a game. It's all a game.

Good morning, Late Nighters

Haven't posted in a while. I hope you all are doing well and have big plans for Thanksgiving. My son came home for break from Auburn yesterday. It amazes me that some time when I wasn't looking he has turned from a boy to a man.

Life is a blur...

Last edited by a moderator:
My son came home for break from Auburn yesterday. It amazes me that some time when I wasn't looking he has turned from a boy to a man.

I know! All three of my kids coming home from college Tuesday (3 different colleges!). Can't wait. I don't know if it's just their age or the schooling, but they have matured so much while away from home. We can have thoughtful intelligent conversations about all sorts of things. I am so proud of them I could burst.

I know! All three of my kids coming home from college Tuesday (3 different colleges!). Can't wait. I don't know if it's just their age or the schooling, but they have matured so much while away from home. We can have thoughtful intelligent conversations about all sorts of things. I am so proud of them I could burst.

My daughters are 23 and 13. I get to have interesting conversations either way. The 23 yr old is an old soul and the 13yr old is well beyond her years.
Have fun with the kids home! :mug:

Good evening everyone. Busy shift so far and the crews are slinging rubber off the ambulances carrying folks in. I have a full shift, so it's not to hectic on my side, but they are working their keesters off. We're all looking forward to seeing 0700 in a few hours.

My desk is filling up fast with QA paperwork, but I wanted to jump in a say hello. Not sure why I never touched base with this thread in the past. Good to know there are others up at all hours. Gotta love the night shifts.

Ken

Hey Ken welcome aboard! Sounds as though your work is pretty hectic and important

There are 24 time zones. It's always this time of night somewhere. You're welcome here any hour of the day my friend

Cheers!

CGVT, great video. My youngest daughter graduates college next spring and my son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. My life is pretty much the same but at their age each year is an adventure and challenge. Time goes by quickly and our happiness for our kids grow just as fast.

It looks like whomever the moderator is that is responsible for cleaning up spam is gonna need a few extra pulls on the keg today.

We're just relaxing at our house tonight with a few family members. We usually host Thanksgiving every year, and have done so for the last 18 years. But a few in my family are not able to travel up here this time, due to health issues. It's a little quieter this year. But...we'll still make do, and think of those who cannot make it this time.

I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving!

I wish we could get family together once in a while. Everyone is so spread out we hardly see each other anymore and very rarely in any large group.
This year, it's just my wife, her brother and our youngest daughter. I always cook like I'm feeding 20 people though.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :mug:

Haha. I knocked it all out this morning, about 6:30. Don't worry, I have a big hammer :)

I was pleasantly surprised earlier. Saw some spam. Flagged one post. Went back to unread posts. And poof they were gone. New filters on spam? Or just dumb luck? The world may never know but it sure made my night.

Happy thanksgiving HBT

I was pleasantly surprised earlier. Saw some spam. Flagged one post. Went back to unread posts. And poof they were gone. New filters on spam? Or just dumb luck? The world may never know but it sure made my night.

Happy thanksgiving HBT

Thanks for the report. You were the 4th person to report that exact spam.

Not new filters, and not dumb luck. Reporting is the key - you make your own luck, right?

Have a great day yourself Gil.

My kids are all in the mainland for the holiday but I'll be seeing them at Christmas. Tomorrow we have a large gathering at our house with my wife's family and some friends.

Sunday, a couple Days ago, I cleaned out the oven with Easy Off. Something went wong. After cleaning An error code popped on the display. I googled it and was instructed to unplug five minutes then plug back in, that that might fix it and if not the control board needed replaced. I did as instructed but no joy. It was getting late so I just turned off the circuit breaker and went to bed. Next day after work I turned the breaker back on. This time nothing was displayed, no error code, no time - nothing! Like the stove was unplugged except the oven light which had never worked, was shining brightly. Didn't matter what position the light switch was in; the light shined on. And on this second night, Monday, as long as the circuit breaker was on the oven heated up - On its own!! My wishful thinking was maybe it will get to 350 degrees or so and hold around there. No such luck. I turned the breaker off when it got somewhere over 550 according to an oven thermometer.

Let me back up a bit. The stove came with this house when we bought it a few years ago. The oven door never closed all the way because the hinges had been bent by the previous tenant's kids. They use to open the door and stand on it. I don't know why but have a few theories. We accepted the stove's condition at the advice of our realtor who told us the housing market in Hawaii was so competitive the sellers' could easily find another buyer who did t care about the stove.

The last two years my wife bungy corded the oven door closed when she baked, and she loves to bake often. Nobody knew this.

The hinges like many appliance parts price makes you ask yourself the question.. Maybe it would be better to just buy new? We lived with the small inconvenience

So all in all we had planned to save up some cash and eventually buy a new stove.

need to wrap this long story

We bought a new stove. I picked it up with the help of a good friend who drives a truck

We got the stove inside the house around 830 at night.b The new stove sat a few feet in front of the old one. We, my wife friend and me had dinner. When we started dinner the old stove was dead.

By th.e time we finished dinner the old stove came back to life. I tested all functions on it. Everything was normal. I still took to the dump.

Old out new in.

Good morning everyone. Been a busy night here tonight for the guys. Wanted to wish all you a Happy Thanksgiving. I'm not sure what I will do today. I need to get up and go visit my dad and his family, but it's smack in the middle of the day. I live about 20 miles from him so if anything it's always a quick trip to his house, stuff my face, say hello's and scoot back home to bed.

I'm looking forward to working off this weekend and having a lil time at home to relax. Hope each of you have a great day with your families.

Turkey in the oven a few hours now. The house smells good

Happy day, may the blessings we take for for granted Be brought to light. And the blessings we realize, ride The wave

Back at work :-( I stopped by my dad's on the way to work tonight to say hello. I ended up just staying home today and skipped dinner all together. I should have sucked it up and woke up to go over there to be with him and his family, and there will be a day in the future when I regret not doing so, but man I was exhausted this morning. Night shift is really taking the wind out of me. I'm 25 years in and often wonder why I still choose this shift over days.

I have many memories growing up about this time of night when I still lived at home. Everyone sitting around the living room, fire going, TV on and dad and I digging into the left over pecan pies with a tall glass of milk. Awesome memories and I was blessed having them.

Hope each of you had a great day today.

KT

Thank you KT for the well wishes and sharing. I worked "Mids" quite a few years but not 25. Most normal people had gone to sleep before I went to work and those same we're going to work as I went to bed. It's a good gig in some ways, not so much in others.

Good to hear you spent some time with your pops this holiday

Cheers
Dan

It took me to the age of the Internet in recent years to find this movie. I think it was an old movie when I saw it for the first time in the late 70's, maybe early eighties.

It's about a POW camp in WWII. The strictest of German prison camps holed in a mountain fortress 10 miles from the Swiss border. A few break out in a lifting way.

Enjoy, and if you can't watch now, please find the time soon

The Birdmen

http://youtu.be/PNafDPikh6E

Latest posts

Back