Electric stove issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sime13w

Reaction score
Should I put the lid on my kettle to create a faster boil? I heard it is not a good idea but I am afraid my electric stove won't get a good boil going on a 7.5 gal kettle.
Any advice......

It's generally not a good idea to keep a lid on the BK,due to DMS issues. But some say it doesn't matter with extract. I got some new elec burners off amazon that get hotter quicker than the old GE ones did. I can now boil 3 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle quickly & easily. Wouldn't do it before with the old GE burners.

I have brewed quite a bit on my electric stove.. full boils. The thing that helped the most was wrapping the pot in 2-3 layers of aluminum foil.. kinda loosely wrapped so there are air pockets between for insulation. Bring the foil all the way over the top rim of the pot and fold it over into the pot. I am careful to not let it get into the wort.. some disagree but thats another thread...Then put the lid on to get things boiling and then remove the lid and boil the full time with no lid. Try this with a pot of water first to make sure you can boil it before starting your beer.

With a 7.5 gallon pot, if you stay close you should be able to do full boils if the stove will handle it.....I will let you know this however with the luminum foil, if you get it too low on the pot to where it traps the heat at the bottom...the entire top of your stove will be scalding hot...or at least mine got that way. I tried straddling 2 burnrs also but the best way was centered on the biggest burner cranked full blast

So I got a nice rolling boil going after like 2 hrs...(Midwest kit says to remove kettle from burner when adding LME, which I won't do ever again) that is also with out the aluminum foil and the lid off. Hopefully the end result will be delicious! Thanks for the advice.. I will try the aluminum foil trick on my next brew day.

OHIOSTEVE said:
With a 7.5 gallon pot, if you stay close you should be able to do full boils if the stove will handle it.....I will let you know this however with the luminum foil, if you get it too low on the pot to where it traps the heat at the bottom...the entire top of your stove will be scalding hot...or at least mine got that way. I tried straddling 2 burnrs also but the best way was centered on the biggest burner cranked full blast

I figured it would be fine on the burner since I am stirring it the entire time but I will definitely take the advice of a more experienced brewer!

Since your heating element has a lot lower heat output than most of the propane burners, go ahead and leave the lid on while heating the water. When you approach the boiling point take the lid off so the DMS precursors can boil away. If you can't keep a boil with the lid off, partially cover the top of the pot but leave space for steam to escape readily. If you leave the lid on during the boil you will get condensation on the lid which will drip back into the pot and you will never get rid of the compounds that you need to.

I have a POS stove that won't give me a boil in a 5G pot without the lid on. I've been doing it for years without trouble. Once I get the boil, I remove it and the stove will maintain the boil well enough. Sometimes I had to put the lid back on after adding extract (and stirring well), but again, once I saw boil, the lid came off.

I never tried the foil trick. Figures I'd learn about that NOW...when I've finally had enough and am moving to all grain AND an outdoor propane burner.

sime13w said:
Should I put the lid on my kettle to create a faster boil? I heard it is not a good idea but I am afraid my electric stove won't get a good boil going on a 7.5 gal kettle.
Any advice......

I had the same problems. I ended up burning up all the burners on my stove, forcing me to upgrade from the pos coils to a ceramic hybrid induction. I am not allowed to brew inside anymore, courtesy of SWMBO only on the propane burner. Take it from me, get a cheap turkey fryer burner you won't regret it. I'm $900 in the red from delaying spending $50 on a propane Cooker

sime13w said:
Any advice......

Also you can try bridging the pot between multiple burners....I had two burners on HIGH for 2.5 hours and it melted my burner wires and sockets however.

sloose said:
I had the same problems. I ended up burning up all the burners on my stove, forcing me to upgrade from the pos coils to a ceramic hybrid induction. I am not allowed to brew inside anymore, courtesy of SWMBO only on the propane burner. Take it from me, get a cheap turkey fryer burner you won't regret it. I'm $900 in the red from delaying spending $50 on a propane Cooker

I currently have a ceramic/glass top electric stove. I will be looking into getting a propane burner ASAP just to speed up the process and not damage the stove. Thanks

Back