Any ideas what these things are eating my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadabrew

Reaction score
They seem to eat a leaf pretty quickly. So far I've just been taking them off when I say them.

image-2893282647.jpg

image-2642223282.jpg

image-1431055453.jpg

runningweird said:
try a product called BT - its not harmful to people its a bacterial insecticide that gets rid of pretty much everything. I think those are question mark caterpillars, Polygonia interrogationis,

http://bugguide.net/node/view/397853/bgimage

Bt won't get rid of everything, but it will get rid of the caterpillars and other "worms" or larvae of many species. It will work on those pictured above.

If you have other pests as well (like aphids), a more broad spectrum insecticide may be needed for control of them all. I use Bonide garden dust or Bonide BT Thuricide, depending on needs.

also remember, anything you put on your hops will eventually get into your beer and into you - even if it is in small doses. Consider carefully what kind of chemical insecticides you want to be ingesting from your beer.

I don't mind sharing with butterflies or moths, as long as there aren't too many. It can be fun to keep track of the caterpillar and watch it transform into the flying adult, especially a big one. If your plants are healthy and there aren't too many it won't hurt anything.

Back