3rd Time's a Charm!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screech

Reaction score
Welp it took me 3 brews to finally make something I can say tastes awesome. My first batch was ok as was my second. My second batch was undercarbed after about 8 weeks. I just tried my third batch two nights ago after letting it sit for about 5 weeks and it was amazing. So far I've gone through about 9 beers. It was a Victory Hop Devil clone by Austin Homebrew. It actually tastes exactly like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale though, which is one of my favorite beers from the store that is available where I live. Here is a picture of the after effects. I drank it too fast to take a picture of a full one. I have been having difficulties with carbonation so I guess I'm just very proud that all of them have been awesome compared to my first two brews.

Kevin

brew003.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll be honest with you, after my first two brews I was thinking of giving up brewing, just because it is alot of work for OK beer, but now that I know I can make a very good tasting beer I think I'll keep it up. Especially since this batch prob. won't last very long.

Kevin

Thanks guys. I'll be honest with you, after my first two brews I was thinking of giving up brewing, just because it is alot of work for OK beer, but now that I know I can make a very good tasting beer I think I'll keep it up. Especially since this batch prob. won't last very long.

Kevin

Nah, never give up. We've all f'd up batches before, and have only the experience gained to show for it. You've only done 3 batches, and the last one has you happy about brewing again. Now fast forward to next year, and imagine how great your great batches will be. You'll go through some groaning pains for sure, but the beer will keep getting better and better. :mug:

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I just bottled my first batch and I have my second in primary right now, but I am kinda worried that if it comes out badly then I would have spent all the time and effort for nothing. Just hearing a newbie success story (would you still be called a newbie if you brewed a great batch?) is encouraging.

Congrats, :mug:

MistFM said:
This is exactly what I needed to hear. I just bottled my first batch and I have my second in primary right now, but I am kinda worried that if it comes out badly then I would have spent all the time and effort for nothing. Just hearing a newbie success story (would you still be called a newbie if you brewed a great batch?) is encouraging.

Congrats, :mug:

It seems like a lot of time and effort at first, but then it becomes something you're good at and the actually process of brewing is simple. Then your successes are more about creating recipes - ok I went a little overboard with that malt, ok this beer is a little bland and needs something, etc. I am patiently waiting 18 months on 12 gallons of sour beer, but my 11% wee heavy is almost ready ;)

Thanks guys. The batch is going pretty quickly. I need a job so I can get to brewing again. I graduated in decem. with mech. engineering. Anybody know of anywhere in the southeast region thats hiring. I'm looking into part time jobs right now, such as lowes and mom and pop stores. This sucks. I'm actually a hard worker believe it or not.

Kevin

It seems like a lot of time and effort at first, but then it becomes something you're good at and the actually process of brewing is simple. Then your successes are more about creating recipes - ok I went a little overboard with that malt, ok this beer is a little bland and needs something, etc. I am patiently waiting 18 months on 12 gallons of sour beer, but my 11% wee heavy is almost ready ;)

Toadally! :ban: It's tougher at first when you're learning the processes of making and fermenting a batch. Sometimes the beer comes out a bit rough, but not always, my first second batches were great, the third and fourth, not so much. Now, it's not a matter of how good the beer turns out, just how the beer turns out. Like BB said, now (~2 years in) it's a matter of 'should I add more blah blah next time' or 'if I mash at 151 instead of 149 next time, this beer'll be perfect.'. Once you get the hang of brewing, it's easy and you can focus on the craft of making the best beer that you can.

Latest posts

Back