SWMBO just found a dog with a note on his collar "this is a good dog, take care"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So while i was at work, i got a text from the girlfriend "omg honey, you're gonna kill me... kill me dead". At that point, my mind started going to "oh dear god, water on the electronics, she tried to clean the TV and it fell off the wall, she knocked over a carboy, she hit the spiggot on the keg and all the beer drained out".
Well, she ended up sending me this picture...
1_imagejpeg952.jpg

So i proceeded to ask what it was exactly that had a tag, then she said that she found a dog laying in a parking lot without a chance for shade (mind you, today is going to get over 80* which isn't normal for portland).

then i got this picture.

imagejpeg952.jpg

Long story short. Dog has no tags to even say what it's name is. no nothing, and she said it was dirty as hell like it'd been outside for quite awhile. so she gave it a quick bath then gave it some chicken we had last night (we have no dogs, so no dog food till i can get off of work) and i guess it scarfed it down like it hadn't eaten for days....
So after that, she sat down to watch TV and the dog came up to her and just laid down.. so it sounds like a great dog and obviously no one wanted...
the thing i dont get is how someone can just do that to an animal! it's so upsetting in the worst way possible. It would just be like setting a toddler out with a tag on his shirt that said "this is a good kid, take care" without even a buck in his pocket.

So tomorrow we are at least going to get him scanned for a chip to see if he has a name and get him a Vet check up and see how he is for awhile and at least play "foster parents" and get him back up on his paws.

hoping s/he is potty trained! :mug:

Good on you guys for doing the right thing. Poor pup; sounds like she may have found him just in time.

Look at that face, though - you know you're keeping him!

That's good of you both to take care of him/her. A lot of people just abandon their dogs if they can no longer afford to take care of them - you'd think they'd at least bring them to a humane society though. We adopted a "stray" (they found the dogs vet and got the phone number of the owners, but the line was disconnected). Have a feeling the people moved and just left the dog. She's turned out to be a great dog though, to this day she has never had a single accident in the house (we've had her for 1.5 years, she's 3 years old).

Oh, he's so adorable! I'm glad you are able to give him a good home. Pets enhance our lives so much, and a good dog is a great companion.

Looks like a beagle mix there!

Someone ^ watches too many horror movies.

Great that you are considering keeping the dog. If he is already house trained you will have a great addition to your family, if not the next month will be trying.

Do not feed it people food, and read some books about dog training.

No way in hell I could resist such a cute puppy face! I'm not a huge fan of rescue organizations, but it beats throwing your dog out on the street to die.

When you can, take him for a physical and heartworm test/preventative (if that's appropriate for your area).

....And, congrats on the new addition! :mug:

Awesome! Probably gonna be the best pet you'll ever have. I 'met' Eddie similarly: he was walking around my sector at work with no tags, obviously not aggressive but ignored by everyone who walked by. I told my partner if he jumped in the car, he was mine. Opened the door... and, he's probably being roughed up by my daughter downstairs as we speak!

Good looking pooch. Your pic of him/her inspired me to change my avatar to a pic of my dog. she has better character than me anyway.

Yep, great dog, until he attacks you as you sleep and you suddenly find out the REAL reason the old owners got rid of him!!!

I like the way you think. Never can be too sure....at least its not a damn cat trying to suck the breath out of you while you sleep.

It breaks my heart to hear animal abuse stories. Luckily this one has a happy ending. I'd like to hear how you all are getting along over the next few weeks.

Something similar happened to me two years ago. I was at a small family owned sawmill/building supply place I do a lot of personal and work related business with. The day I showed up, this cute little dog followed me around everywhere I walked. The mill owner commented on how much the dog seemed to like me and that he belongs to his nephew who was abusive and neglectful. He asked if I would be interested in taking the little guy, to which I replied "of course!". Then I didn't hear anything for about a month before I got a phone call from the woman in the office asking if I still wanted the dog. I told her I could be there in 10 minutes. The rest as they say is history. I won the dog lottery with this little guy, he's a sweetheart, loves to play outside, and simply adores our 7 year old lab mix. There's a pic of them both in the "Dogs" thread. Named him Eddie and the girls name is Kaya.

It breaks my heart to hear animal abuse stories. Luckily this one has a happy ending. I'd like to hear how you all are getting along over the next few weeks.

Something similar happened to me two years ago. I was at a small family owned sawmill/building supply place I do a lot of personal and work related business with. The day I showed up, this cute little dog followed me around everywhere I walked. The mill owner commented on how much the dog seemed to like me and that he belongs to his nephew who was abusive and neglectful. He asked if I would be interested in taking the little guy, to which I replied "of course!". Then I didn't hear anything for about a month before I got a phone call from the woman in the office asking if I still wanted the dog. I told her I could be there in 10 minutes. The rest as they say is history. I won the dog lottery with this little guy, he's a sweetheart, loves to play outside, and simply adores our 7 year old lab mix. There's a pic of them both in the "Dogs" thread. Named him Eddie and the girls name is Kaya.

Dogs are not stupid. They know instinctively who will be a good fit for them. We dog-sat a lab mix over the weekend. This dog, while not abused by his owner in any way, has not been worked with by him either. My GF was fed-up with this dog in no time because he was jumping on people, always barking, not listening, etc. In less than two minutes I taught that dog some simple commands. Sit, stay, lay down, that sort of thing. He is not stubborn, not stupid, his owner is just either unwilling to work with him or doesn't know how. That dog followed me around all weekend. Whined when I left, was happy as hell when I came back. I would be willing to take in this dog if his owner no longer wanted him, but I doubt the GF would sit still for it. She spent the entire weekend saying how much better behaved my dog was. I was like, well, how do you think she got that way??? It takes time!

Good looking pooch. Your pic of him/her inspired me to change my avatar to a pic of my dog. she has better character than me anyway.

Yeah, me too! Toby is a little wet in this picture, but we're on the pontoon boat cruising around our lake. He's better looking than I am by far, and he's a lot nicer than I am also.

A few years ago, I was a condo dweller in a rural environment. One day a large Rottie showed up at the door. The door was open but the screen door was closed as it was summer. This dog proceeds to jump up, hit the handle and let herself into our home, with two teen girls inside! She proceeds to run straight at me ( I was trying to get to the door to shut it) and jumps at me. Face to face! I'm thinking I'm getting my face ripped off now. Instead I got a big wet doggie kiss. She was underfed and underweight and looked pretty sad. Over the next week, we bought dog food, dry and wet, and gave her scraps to nurse her back to health. The girls bonded with her big time. Unfortunately, I am allergic and asthmatic and cant have dogs.:( This dog was a sweetheart. One of those true tongue out stupid friendly dogs. She hung around outside mostly, came in when she wanted, and slept in the kitchen near the front door during that time. We found out she was given to a neighbor about a mile up the street against his will,and didnt want her. I couldnt keep her either, so I talked to a woman at work who loved Rotties and had lost one. It was instant love at first sight. Rizzo flourished in her new home.

what reality is there in a made up scenario? :p

Hey, don't come to me, begging to borrow a shotgun, when the zombies attack!

I like the way you think. Never can be too sure....at least its not a damn cat trying to suck the breath out of you while you sleep.

Good point, creeping up on babes asleep in the craddle, sucking the life right out of them.

Anyway, to the OP, cute dog...hope it works out for you! :(;)

Shooter said:
Hey, don't come to me, begging to borrow a shotgun, when the zombies attack!

CRAP. that was, in fact, my zombie apocalypse plan. Guess I kinda screwed myself there.

That dog is awesome!

One of my dogs was going to be put to sleep by his owner when they were moving, they abused the hell out of him and he is now getting better. The other one was a stray who was in real bad shape. They are the best dogs, I do not think I will ever buy a dog again. Both of them even have a job now! They are service dogs working with my wife and treating kids with autism, down syndrome, and MR.

You watch how much that dog is going to love you! Congrats!

It would just be like setting a toddler out with a tag on his shirt that said "this is a good kid, take care" without even a buck in his pocket.

Seriously? Are you really equating a dog with a human?

as cruel as it is to release a dog to possibly starve to death, they are still animals and could survive better in the wild then me or you could. but sometimes putting a dog in a shelter is a death sentence itself, being as its a total mutt with some years on him/her.. looks liek a her but what do i know lol. looks like she has some shepherd and beagle in her.

its not hard to run a craigslist add or in the paper for adoption tho.. so the ex-owners are total ******** because somebody will always adopt a dog if you give it enough time. unless of course that dogs nickname is bitey

Absolutely adorable. I see you've been chosen to be new owners. He will make you very happy.

I'd take a dog over a stinking child any day. To hell with the human race. I'd rather save the animals.

well just a quick update to the story (i'll try and update more tomorrow at work :) )

my girlfriend ended up taking her to the vet on her lunch break (she works out of the house) and bad/good news.

they looked at the dog and immediately said "that dog looks really familiar". so they ran in the back and grabbed another vet who said "that dog was just in here not too long ago" so they kept trying to guess the name and finally said "Buddy!?" and he perked up and ran over.
Found out that an older couple owned the dog and just was in for a check up and had "buddys" teeth cleaned... so i still questioned myself why he was on gravel in the hot sun with that note after they spent that money.

Turns out they told the couple that he had degenerative heart failure and also bloat (which is where the dogs belly cavity fills with fluid) so i paniced at that point, and they couldn't afford it... so i paniced more... Got a call from the GF a little while later and they had only charged her 120 bucks for... an xray, all diagnostic stuff, tried to drain his belly and such... which before he heard the story said it was going to be a few hundred. so that was good on them!
and the medication is SUPER cheap too. the bloat meds are only needed for 2 weeks... and needs 2 pills a day for the rest of his life for the heart problem, but the pills are only $16 bucks for 100 pills... which is super cheap too...

we brought the kids home who immediately loved him, he lays with the cats and passes out. and at the moment he is laying down watching sex in the city with the GF!

so as per the stuff the vets remember (thank god it was the same one) he is 8 years old, always had his check ups, HE IS FULLY TRAINED! (stay, laydown, sit, etc) he is fully potty trained too! And we now know his name is buddy... And the doctor said with the meds and proper diet and such he should live another 3ish years, which is sad, but at the same time, i'd rather give him a few more really great years then be sitting in the sun dying from dehydration :(. :mug: happy brewer here!

and here is a quick picture i just took, in his new swagger lol (just picked him up a new harness), notice the problem with the "bloat"? my gf didn't say anything about how bad it was till i saw him... lol but the doc said 2 weeks with the "bloat meds" and everything will come out and he will go back to his normal weight (he weighs 30lbs right now)

2012-04-23_20-42-32_592.jpg

oh yeah, and they went through him with combs and checked his ears and such, no fleas, no ticks, no mites, no bad juju!

Your a good person! Give the dog a happy home and hell treat you with happy memories. My dog is a rescue and the best dog! Have fun with buddy!

what reality is there in a made up scenario? :p

We adopted a dog off the street and that is exactly what happened. After 3-4 months I was petting her and she darn near chewed my hands off. Wouldn't stop, finally just had to get through the pain and grab her by the back of the neck and hold her in the air. 1-2" very deep gashes in both hands. I still have big scars....and the dog. Long story but yeah we kept her even after another attact which was even worse. Dog has like a split personality and just goes off. I wanted to get rid of her...again a long story. We now kind of know to let her come to us and only touch her if her tail is wagging. I never let her around kids anymore and keep a close eye on her when others are around. I am crazy for keeping her I know. Good dog.....when she is not crazy. We got her over a year old so who knows what kind of life she had previously. Lab-Chow mix, I read Chows can have bad tempers. Such a nice dog until the $hit hits the fan. When we first got her she slept standing up until she fell over, that lasted for almost a month.

So yes, maybe he made that story up but it does happen. Oh, we live on 10 acres with a few other houses on 10 acres not like our dog is on one side of a fence and some 3yr old on the other...and never outside the house off a leash.

So yes, maybe he made that story up but it does happen. Oh, we live on 10 acres with a few other houses on 10 acres not like our dog is on one side of a fence and some 3yr old on the other...and never outside the house off a leash.

First off, my sympathies for your unfortunate experience. Secondly, situations such as yours obviously do happen, and I wasn't claiming they don't. They are in the very significant minority when it comes to dogs. I would have had no issue with the dog attacking being presented as a possibility, albeit a very small one. I was just pointing out that I don't agree with classifying made up scenarios, no matter how possible, as reality, :D

First off, my sympathies for your unfortunate experience. Secondly, situations such as yours obviously do happen, and I wasn't claiming they don't. They are in the very significant minority when it comes to dogs. I would have had no issue with the dog attacking being presented as a possibility, albeit a very small one. I was just pointing out that I don't agree with classifying made up scenarios, no matter how possible, as reality, :D

No problem, was kind of an excuse to tell my story.

BrewKnurd said:
CRAP. that was, in fact, my zombie apocalypse plan. Guess I kinda screwed myself there.

You bring the beer, I got you covered. I come from an area where there are often more guns than people in the household. This usually is a result of upgrading guns (410 -> 16/20ga -> 12ga) as you become more mature.

To stay on topic: Glad to see the puppy is going to have a great home. My most recent dog was a hand me down, so she was not neglected, but the best damn dog I've ever had. So much so, I don't plan on getting another as they'd all pale in comparison to her at this point.

I'm surprised and glad to hear that Buddy is doing well with bloat. It can be fatal to dogs within a few hours, if the stomach actually twists. Also, dogs tend to have repeat occurrences after the first episode.

jgln-It's good of you to keep that dog. Sounds like she had some very bad experiences before you got her, and things scare her, which makes her feel she needs to be defensive. Sleeping standing up- poor dog!

Turns out they told the couple that he had degenerative heart failure and also bloat (which is where the dogs belly cavity fills with fluid) so i paniced at that point, and they couldn't afford it...

No excuse. A few years back my husband and I both lost our jobs and house due to my medical issues, but I still made sure my dog (had degenerative heart valves) stayed medicated until he passed away...it meant going without sometimes, but he was an awesome dog, pretty much like a kid to us, and we don't regret it. The cardiac vets never gave us a break on the price either.... So if we can go through all that crap AND still care for our pet, I don't want to hear some BS excuse. Grrrrrr.

Kudos to you for taking this guy in. Might take a few bucks to get him as healthy as he can be, but it's worth it.

really awesome of you to take the dog in.

My fiance works with rescue dogs and i can't imagine the thought process of some people that get a dog then when it gets too big, or they just decide they don't want it anymore can just leave it somewhere to fend for itself.

Really gets under my skin.

Good for you and your GF!! I had a similar thing happen with my dog Kaiser. I work on the LV strip and I found him wandering around the bushes inside my property. He was full grown at the time and he's a german shepherd, so nobody wanted to approach him to see if he was friendly. I got a rope from our engineeringing department, fashioned a makeshift leash, and crawled into the bushes with some turkey from my lunch. As soon as I got to him he started eating the food from my hand and I was able to put the rope around his neck. We walked out of the bushes just as if we were going on a daily walk.

He had no collar and didn't respond to commands, but he was obviouslysomeones pet that had just been abandoned. And as I said, working on the strip, there really aren't many neighborhoods nearby. So he was obviously just dumped by someone that didn't want to care for him.

The worst part about it is that there is an extremely reputable German shepherd rescue within a 30 minute driving distance. One simple Internet search and a quick drive would have given his previous owners a safe place to leave him.

I've had Kaiser for 2 years now, ad he's the best dog ever. Not a single behavioral or health problem. He's great with people and other dogs(thinks my brothers Pomeranian is his GF). And he is completely devoted to me. He honestly won't leave my side from the moment I come home to the moment I leave. Dogs know when they are cared for well(especially if they were previously in distress) and they repay you with extreme loyalty.

Back