Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took 2nd with a 39.5.

Yeah. Kind of what I was thinking. So, as far as I can see it, there's two ways it can go. My score is posted as a 32, but they have me listed as winning the category, so either I didn't win or they typed in the score wrong.

I was all happy to see my name as winning, but then saw the score and got bummed. Really couldn't see a 32 winning that competitive of a table. Should have emailed the director right away, but was afraid to get bad news.

On the bright side, you may get bumped up to first. :mug:

edit:
Email sent. I'll let you know.

Yeah. Kind of what I was thinking. So, as far as I can see it, there's two ways it can go. My score is posted as a 32, but they have me listed as winning the category, so either I didn't win or they typed in the score wrong.

I was all happy to see my name as winning, but then saw the score and got bummed. Really couldn't see a 32 winning that competitive of a table. Should have emailed the director right away, but was afraid to get bad news.

On the bright side, you may get bumped up to first. :mug:

edit:
Email sent. I'll let you know.

Oh, I didn't realize you took first in that category, congrats!! I'm sure it was just a typo with your score on the site...probably should have been 42 not 32

...probably should have been 42 not 32
That's what I was sort of hoping for, but it was not the case. Wow! I don't know what to say. I got a reply to the email. Looks like there were four tables for IPA. I could have gotten one with tougher judges, but advanced to the mini-BOS along with your beer that may have gotten there from another table. With no score sheets in the mini-BOS, and a direct comparison with fresh bottles, my beer came out on top.

With that big of a difference in scores, it’s a little baffling. Makes me wonder if there were some minor issues with my first bottle. I don’t have a bottling gun, so my technique isn’t perfect. But there's no point in second guessing now, just be happy with what I got. :)

Thanks! It would be very interesting to hear what was discussed during the mini BOS judging. I'm guessing it was a close call.

And I was thinking about the bottle theory I mentioned last night. With coffee instead of beer in my system I remembered that they save the second bottle for BOS, not mini BOS.

edit:
What was your recipe like? Mine was a basic IPA grain bill with 5% flaked rye. Hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe, an emphasis on late hops.

I brewed up a single hop (mosaic) beer for a club competition this month so entering it into Buzz Off was kind of an afterthought...

My grain bill was 2-row with some white wheat and carapils I think... I also used Conan yeast that I harvested from a can of Heady Topper and then rinsed from a clone I did a little while back.

I entered Buzz off as well. Took first in Saison (34, which seemed low) and my two stouts tied for silver (39 and 39.5). I didn't know that was possible. I also emailed about score sheets and awards being mailed since I couldn't make it, and didn't hear back.

Took first in Saison (34, which seemed low) and my two stouts tied for silver (39 and 39.5). I didn't know that was possible.
Congrats! My guess would be that, with 29 entries in the Stout category, it was like what happened to me in IPA. It went to a mini BOS and the scores were not used to determine the best beer. They both must have been great beers for the judges not to be able to pick a winner.

I also emailed about score sheets and awards being mailed since I couldn't make it, and didn't hear back.
I got the quote below as a reply to my email. From what I've heard and seen, these guys ran a great competition. I'll cut them slack on getting score sheet and awards sent out.

We're going to be a little behind in getting scoresheets, medals and prizes out because I've caught myself a cold and I'm away from Thursday night through Monday. But we'll get everything in the mail as quickly as possible!

edit:
"Holy Maltrimony", nice name!

Oh you are right. it said Mini-BOS next to it. I am new to competing so wasn't sure what that meant!

Thanks for the update! I'll be checking the mail frequently. These are my first awards.

I have beer week at my house every week. Meh to long lines and fighting for a beer with a bunch of hipster d bags. Meh meh meh.

So sayith the scrouge of beer week.

I enjoy beer week, don't get me wrong. I've just never been one of those guys that will stand in line for hours on end just to be able to have a super rare beer. That's not to say I haven't had the super rare beer, but I don't go bat $hit crazy over it like alot of the guys over at BA do.

Have you seen anything yet? I haven't.
No. From the email, it looked like he'd be gone for an extended Memorial Day weekend vacation. With this being a short week, I think we'll be lucky to see anything by the end.

Doesn't stop me from opening the mailbox everyday hoping to find something. :D

I just got a call from them (BuzzOff), my Brown Ale took 2nd BOS. He said they are getting everything ready for shipping and it should be delivered by the middle of next week.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401369000.679210.jpg
Ok I am jealous. My wife sent me this pic this morning. This person is in my hometown, has a HBT sticker and I don't know them yet.... Who are you mystery person. The hunt is on.

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

I just got a call from them (BuzzOff), my Brown Ale took 2nd BOS. He said they are getting everything ready for shipping and it should be delivered by the middle of next week.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I got my scorecards, medal and prize in the mail today.

Headed to Lucky's Last Chance tonight for the Stone event. Really, my wife wants to see the rep (our friend), and it gives me an excuse to get one of their burgers! :D

never made it to Lucky's. :( Damn grass hockey game went longer than my wife promised it would! Looks like the only beer week event we might actually hit is something down at Bar Ly tomorrow night ($3 pints to kick their kegs). I have a hockey game tomorrow at 3:40 (which blows), so half the team is just taking the train down afterward to enjoy some beers and game #2.

I am brewing up 20 gal today though, so there's that. House Pale ale, and an attempt at a Session IPA. We'll see how that goes.

I'll be moving to Northern Liberties at the beginning of July. If anyone lives in the neighborhood we should meet up and drink some fine brew!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Coming from the west coast! May be making a trip back to VT in a couple weeks though

I'll be moving to Northern Liberties at the beginning of July. If anyone lives in the neighborhood we should meet up and drink some fine brew!

You are listed as from Burlington ... what is the name of the brewing group ip there ?? (Its too far for me to drive)

There is the Green Mountain Mashers and Burlington Home Brew Club. I am living in Utah right now though, better skiing, worse beer!

Welcome to my hood! I live in Fishtown, which is just across "the tracks" from Northern Liberties. Ive been living in the NL and Fishtown for 11 years now, its amazing how much its changed.

Stop by Philly Homebrew Outlet on American St, its probably walkable for you if youre in No Libs. Then come out for the Philly Homebrew Club meetings every 3rd Friday at Philly Homebrew Outlet.

Did anyone else go to the madness at craft ale house last night? I got there right at 5 and three bar was 10 deep. We sat on the patio and they actually served us out there. Still took an hour but it was a nice night to sit out there with the pooch

Back