storing corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i wanted to fill a corny and store it for a period of time. possibly a month or two. whats the best way to go about this? i was thinking about blasting it with 30 psi, bleeding the keg, un-hooking the gas, and letting it sit in my chest freezer at fridge temp. is this ok? the reason- i only have 1 co2 tank for 1 keg. i own 2 kegs and want to brew badly....

I would hit it with 10-15 lbs of CO2 to purge the O2 out and seal the lid securely. After that it should be good in your fridge. I would hit it with CO2 once a week or so because whatever is in there will get absorbed by the beer. You want to keep some positive pressure in the keg so O2 can't leak in.

For what it's worth, I have 5 kegs and no manifold. I have never kept the gas connected to my kegs unless I was dispensing for a party. I simply charge my kegs to 30 psi for 48 hours. Then, I drop the pressure to about 12 to 13 psi, and I charge my kegs once or twice a week. This is enough pressure to typically dispense a few glasses of beer without needing to recharge, and then I simply put the gas on for a minute to charge the keg back up.

Bottom line is that you don't need to keep the gas open to a keg in order for it to get carbonated. If you are shooting for some precise CO2 pressure on a keg, then you may want to consider getting a manifold. I haven't ever seen the need for it though.

Why don't you just toss some priming sugar in the keg and let it carbonate naturally over the month? Then it'll be ready to pour once you eventually hook it up.

Why don't you just toss some priming sugar in the keg and let it carbonate naturally over the month? Then it'll be ready to pour once you eventually hook it up.

Prime to correct pressure and then set the lid with a few blasts of CO2 every so often. The beer will absorb the CO2 you use to set the lid so you'll want to make sure that seal keeps but otherwise treat it like a big bottle.

All the real benefits of kegging and all the supposed benefits of natural carbonation. ;)

Back