Opened Bottle Of 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmars

EAC Wannabe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my first AG batch I did just about everything wrong.

Was supposed to be a Fat Tire clone. Had some extra grain, like Special B, left over and decided to just throw that in the mash. Wrong amount of mash water, I think I had the temp about right though. Batch sparged. Forgot to vorlauf, but the stainless braid kept big stuff out. Pretty cloudy on the 1st run, but not too bad on the second.

Anyway, got it done S.G. 1.050ish. Put in the Primary for about a week, secondary for another week, then bottled it last week F.G. 1.008ish. Figured it was still pretty green, but decided to pop one open and have a taste.

Flavor was pretty good. I'm sure not the correct flavor for the clone, though. A definite taste of raisins. Not much mouthfeel, pretty dry. Not a strong alcohol taste, but felt it after a 20oz. bottle.

All in all, not what I was hoping for, but drinkable and acceptable for my 1st AG.

Congratulations. "Not bad" is certainly not a disaster for your first all-grain beer. And, since it is a bit "green" at the moment, it might end up mellowing out into a really fine brewski. So, congratulations on a fine start!

Save me a bottle or three.... I'm really interested in seeing how the pale ale comes out. Finally got the ESB racked from that day, too...

The first handful of all-grain batches are like throwing a hard wall shot on wet lanes the first day rolling after a few months away from the lifestyle. As long as you keep it out of the gutter, it would be worse. Sounds like you at least knocked down a few pins, so I'd say it was a success. Strikes and gutters, man, strikes and gutters. :rockin:

/all bowling analogies

Make sure that you save a few bottles to taste after a 2-3 months! Your likely to switch from
"...not what I was hoping for, but drinkable and acceptable for my 1st AG."
to
"...The best facking beer I've had in my life!!!!"

Back