What soil should i use for cascade and saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
Tomorrow i am getting some cascade and saaz cuttings. I am going to put them in some planter boxes. The boxes are 6 inches deep but i have nice soil underneath for them to spread. I have the option of getting them 12inches high?? My main question is what is the best type of soil to use for these hops? Also should I go with higher boxes?

Thanks

Compost and yes to the higher boxes. Why wouldn't you just plant them in the earth? If it's due to trying to contain them you might be able to get away with a 5 gal bucket (with the bottom removed) planted into the ground. A bigger container would probably be more appropriate.

Pretty much no plant other than a large tree has a root cluster that goes deeper than 12 inches, generally root structures move more horizontally... Additionally, what are you going to use for risers?

I am moving in a year and dont want to have roots too deep and I have the option of buying 6inches and 12 inches

Yes, I'd go with the bigger containers. The more soil around the crown will help moderate any big temperature swings and may help keep the crown cooler. Good soil, compost, well rotted manure etc. and you're good to go!

I'm in the same boat.

I'm going to use a tomato growers trick and buy 50L bags of garden mix, put holes in the bottom to let water out, cut the top open and plant a rhizome directly into each bag.

It's not pretty but it's only temporary and very cheap :)

I was going to stand them on end (so they are tall) but do you think it's better to lay them flat? I thought hops were deep rooting.

Im getting the 12 inch tall today we will see how it works. Soo my question again, i know i need soil and compost but what kind of soil is best if any? I mean store bought soil, or i mught just go to the garden store and ask.

Thanks

You don't want clay and you don't want sand. A medium textured, well draining soil medium will work just fine. Buy potting soil if you have to.

Back