Please take my survey!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I love this site and the people on here are amazing. I'm doing research for a business class if you guys could answer the questions below I will really appreciate it. :mug:
The product I am doing research for is an alcohol breathalyzer machine that is hung on a wall in a restaurant/bar. How it would work is you walk up insert the set amount of money, it will dispense a straw and you use that to blow in the machine when it tells you to. Then your B.A.C. displays on the monitor. End of transaction.
So here are the questions.
Question 1. How many times do you go out a week and have an alcoholic beverage? (WITH OR WITHOUT FOOD)
A.__________
Question 2. If you had easy access to an alcohol breathalyzer in an establishment would you use it?
A. Yes
B. No

Question 3. Would you use it every time you drank?
A. Yes
B. No
C. Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many._____

Question 4. How much would you pay to use the breathalyzer?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Question 5. Where would you feel most comfortable using the machine?
A. In the restroom
B. Near the restroom
C. At the exit
D. Anywhere would be fine

Thanx guys very much I really appreciate it and your really helping me out big time (like this site always does) HBT.COM OWNS:rockin:

Hey guys, I love this site and the people on here are amazing. I'm doing research for a business class if you guys could answer the questions below I will really appreciate it. :mug:
The product I am doing research for is an alcohol breathalyzer machine that is hung on a wall in a restaurant/bar. How it would work is you walk up insert the set amount of money, it will dispense a straw and you use that to blow in the machine when it tells you to. Then your B.A.C. displays on the monitor. End of transaction.
Question 1. How many times do you go out a week and have an alcoholic beverage? (WITH OR WITHOUT FOOD)
A.___~3_______
Question 2. If you had easy access to an alcohol breathalyzer in an establishment would you use it?
(A.) Yes
B. No

A. Yes
B. No
(C.) Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many.__4___

(A.) 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

A. In the restroom
(B.) Near the restroom
C. At the exit

Thanx guys very much I really appreciate it and your really helping me out big time (like this site always does) HBT.COM OWNS:rockin:
There you go. Pretyy interesting idea actually! Good Luck.

#1 - Typically 0, I drink at home mostly. I drink out about 5-10 times a year.
#2 - No. I know when I'm ok to drive. For the most part I don't drink at all when I plan on driving.
#3 - N/A
#4 - N/A
#5 - B

And I hate to burst your bubble but while I was in Nashville for a bachelor party I saw the exact breathalizer machine you plan on marketing at a pool hall/bar. It had a bin of straws in paper wrappers. I didn't see what it charged but it was coin operated. You took a straw from the bin, paid your money and got your BAC.

I think you got beat to the market.

http://www.alcotester.com/categorie...eathalyzers/?gclid=CPyhkIzjyaQCFYVk7Aod7kevCw

1 or 2
B. No

B. No

N/A

Thanx guys very much I really appreciate it and your really helping me out big time (like this site always does) HBT.COM OWNS:rockin:[/QUOTE]

And I hate to burst your bubble but while I was in Nashville for a bachelor party I saw the exact breathalizer machine you plan on marketing at a pool hall/bar. It had a bin of straws in paper wrappers. I didn't see what it charged but it was coin operated. You took a straw from the bin, paid your money and got your BAC.

I think you got beat to the market.

http://www.alcotester.com/categorie...eathalyzers/?gclid=CPyhkIzjyaQCFYVk7Aod7kevCw
I know about these machines. Their pretty cool but I got the beat on price quality usability and profitability. Thanx you guys you're helping me out big time keep um coming. yay for beer :tank:

A.____1 or 2______
A. [Yes]
B. No

A. Yes
B. No
[C.] Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many.__2+__

[A.] 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

A. In the restroom
[B.] Near the restroom
C. At the exit

:

1. 2
2. No
3. No
4. $1 or less
5. B

When I go out and drink I almost always either walk home or have a DD. If I've had enough to drink that I think I might be near the limit, I don't even think about driving.

Question 1. 0 (maybe three times a year I go to a restaurant or bar where I drink)
Question 2. Yes

Question 3. Yes

Question 4. =or<1

Question 5. Anywhere would be fine (restrooms would be awkward, blowing something in the bathroom has negative connotations imo)

Q1: 4

Q2: Yes

Q3: No

Q4: $2

Q5: D

Clarification: I wouldn't use it every time. It would be somewhat of a novelty because I know that at 2 drinks I'd be under the limit, but at 10 I'm over. I wouldn't want it near the restroom, because those are dirty, but the exit wouldn't get much business. Maybe somewhere close to the pool tables/games if the bar has them.

1. 1
2. Yes
3. No
4. $1-2
5. Like others have already said really anywhere but the restroom that's weird.

Don't know if you wanted comments but I'll add this anyways: While I appreciated any product that decreases the chance of DUI's I think there are several things you should consider:
I'm not sure about other jurisdictions but in Canada just because you blow under .08 does not mean you can't be charged with DUI there are in fact 2 separate crimes 1 is blowing over .08 the other is being in a state unfit to drive. A first time drinker for example could blow .06 be wrecked and then charged with DUI.
So basically a customer could come use your machine, blow under the legal limit and then get a DUI that night.

I mention this because if I was the company I would want a long disclaimer on the product explaining this and attempting to limit liability.
In turn, as a customer I would get less value out of a product that ultimately can't assure me I'd pass a breathlyzer.

Sorry for the long post but I know that DUI law is very misunderstood in many jurisdictions and these might be things to consider in your project.

Your target market will end up being drunk frat boys and those crowds.

My answers will vary greatly than is you ask delta kegger lambda.... I know my limit and how to pace myself. I also know the math on figuring your bac based off of weight/height and how many hours of drinking and if I can't do the math I don't drive, if I can do th. Math then it's easy to figure out.

Now why are frat boys your market? This quote here
"hey dude I blew a .10" frat boy one
"oh yeah I can do better than that" frat boy two

Your best location would be RIGHT next to the karaoke machine, juke box, etc. As this is where drunks accumulate. People on hbt respect beer...thus know to have a dd or when they should not drive.

Frat boys do not thus I see them willing to pay a buck for a gimmick (well a gimick in their eyes)

<1 now that I have children. 2-3 times a week before that.
Probably the first time I saw it, then very rarely after that.

B. No

50 cents to a dollar

A.__________
A. Yes
B. No

A. Yes
B. No
C. Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many._____

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

A. In the restroom
B. Near the restroom
C. At the exit

1. It would have to be a fractional number. I don't purchase alcohol at restaurants or bars weekly. Based on the past few months, I'd say 0.125.

2. Yes... but only as a novelty and if the process looked reasonably sanitary.

3. No, it would get old fast.

4. $1 - $2 but only if it takes credit cards. I don't carry cash on me on nights I go out drinking.

5. Anywhere, but I'd prefer if it was in the middle of the bar and had one of those "Winner" lights like Skee-Ball lanes if I blow over a certain number (like twice the legal limit).

1. 1-2
2. no
3. no
4. na - I would not pay see below...
5. d

As you can see, I am from Wisconsin. We have these neat little machines in many bars. They cost either .25 or .50 to use and take a normal drinking straw to act as a "blow tube".

These were real popular with the frat guys. "Let's see who can get it the highest score." scenario. I think these devices goad, weak minded groups of BMC drinkers into drinking more, until the novelty is worn off. (and it sits on the wall like the "love tester".)

No one that is loaded is going to go to the machine and "check to see if they are wasted." because they are wasted...

These things are horribly maintained and not accurate as a result after time. IMO these are not much different than a mega touch game, they are a novelty.

I am 100% against OUI/DUI. If I go out and have more than 1 beer in 1 hour I do not drive. I will take a taxicab both ways so I do not even have a car with me or have a designated driver.

Best of Luck! :drunk:

A.__________
A. Yes
B. No

Yes

A. Yes
B. No
C. Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many.__C after 5___

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5
A. In the restroom
B. Near the restroom
C. At the exit
D

1. 2
2. No
3. No
4. $1 or less
5. B

When I go out and drink I almost always either walk home or have a DD. If I've had enough to drink that I think I might be near the limit, I don't even think about driving.

Hate to be a copy cat, but these are my exact answers as well, including the statement at the bottom. Copy cat or no, it's still data for ya! :ban:

Question 1: ~3 times a week.

Question 2: A. Yes.

Question 3: C.
Follow up Question: After more than 1.

Question 4: B. $2.

B. Near the restroom.
While frat boys might use it to show off, the rest of your clientele might not want an audience. I would not put anything in my mouth while actually inside a bar bathroom though.

While I do know my limits and do not go out drinking to get drunk; Arizona DUI laws are pretty severe. Double checking with a BAC machine would be interesting if nothing else.

Edit: Good luck with your class.

>1

A. Yes

C. Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many.
(If it were beer I'd go with anything over 2 normal 5% ABV beers) If it was higher percentage beer, I'd use the test. Or if it was liquor I'd use the test.

B. 2 tops

C. At the exit

A.__5-6_____
A. Yes
B. No
(c) If I had more than 2 beers.

A. Yes
B. No
(C.) Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many.__2___

A. 1
(B.) 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

A. In the restroom
(B.) Near the restroom
C. At the exit

You are welcome.

A. 1-2
A. Yes

C. Depends on amount drank. Follow up Question. How many. 3

A. 1

A. In the restroom

Back