Lambic project 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in looking where she got them they would have to be 22oz bombers or 12's.
Im guessing the 22oz.

I'll know for sure here soon.
I have no clue why they would name them lips of faith other than the fact they are weird.
lol

22 oz bottles arrived. not the 750mls but they work.
Im ordering the Kriek next round.

Even at whole sale they are $$$.
Cheaper than Russian river bottles though.

Thought i would give an update.
I peeked inside the barrel tonight and there was a thin layer of muck on top.
The bugs are working well in my basement.

Temp is warmer than i would like but i lack central air so the 71 f will have to do.
Got a bench top corker coming in the mail so i can bottle some wine and mead.

Oldsock your blog has been most helpful.

Thought i would give an update.
I peeked inside the barrel tonight and there was a thin layer of muck on top.
The bugs are working well in my basement.

Temp is warmer than i would like but i lack central air so the 71 f will have to do.
Got a bench top corker coming in the mail so i can bottle some wine and mead.

Oldsock your blog has been most helpful.

Glad to hear things are going well. My barrel is sitting in the mid-high 70s in my basement, most Lambic breweries lack temperature control, so i wouldn't be too worried. Happy the blog has been a help.

Hey Mike, what are your thoughts on when to fruit a barrel lambic? We're embarking on a two-barrel Framboise next month. The cab barrel is well inoculated with bugs and I was thinking the base wort will just go directly into the barrel for primary. Once the initial gravity is dropped over a month, I though the fruit would go in. I already know your opinion on fresh vs. concentrated fruit juice but I don't think most of the shareholders are willing to drop $40 each on fresh fruit. 6 quarts of concentrate is the equivalent of about 120 pounds of fruit (in one 60 gallon barrel).

Thoughts?

Do you see any reason to repitch regular beer yeast in addition to the bugs in the wood? We've been doing a 5 gallon boiling water rinse between batches so far.

Hey Mike, what are your thoughts on when to fruit a barrel lambic? We're embarking on a two-barrel Framboise next month. The cab barrel is well inoculated with bugs and I was thinking the base wort will just go directly into the barrel for primary. Once the initial gravity is dropped over a month, I though the fruit would go in. I already know your opinion on fresh vs. concentrated fruit juice but I don't think most of the shareholders are willing to drop $40 each on fresh fruit. 6 quarts of concentrate is the equivalent of about 120 pounds of fruit (in one 60 gallon barrel).

Thoughts?

Do you see any reason to repitch regular beer yeast in addition to the bugs in the wood? We've been doing a 5 gallon boiling water rinse between batches so far.

My personal preference is to add the fruit later on, say after 6-12 months of age. That way the Brett and lactic acid bacteria are the dominant microbes and will get to eat the fruit sugars. Waiting also lets you see how the beer is without fruit, and allows you to save some un-fruited beer. With our barrels we have left the fruit out and allowed individuals to pull off their shares onto fruit if they want. This way each person can control the quality/amount/time, and you can have some interesting comparisons.

Fruit concentrate can certainly work, I recently heard Will from Cambridge brewing mention that he uses it with good results. Just be careful, unlike fresh/frozen/juice/puree which won’t raise your gravity much, concentrate will boost the alcohol considerably.

I’ve yet to do a barrel without a healthy culture of bugs going. For the first round we added 10 gallons of 6 month old sour for bugs (this is how Rodenbach re introduces bugs after they strip down a barrel for cleaning). Most of the rest of the beer had been fermented out already by Sacch, although we added some fresh wort to get the bugs going. For the second fill for each barrel we racked beer/wort in after pumping the previous beer out without rinsing. After this round we may give the barrels a rinse, but we still have plenty of time to think about it.

For the solera I had some month old sour beer that was mixed with the first half of the wort, a week later we brewed/racked the second 30 gallons of wort (taking 5 gallons out to give the fermentation some head space). This one got sour much faster than our other barrels, but that may have been the specific strains we used etc…

I had bad luck underpitching my first batch of Lambic, so be careful. I don’t know how quickly fermentation will start if you are just relying on the bugs in the wood. It might be worth getting 5 gallons going first with some blend, and letting complexity come from the bugs in the wood.

Thanks. I figured for the buggy barrel I'd just pitch one of the 5 gallons shares with about 4 packs of US-05 or Nottingham to make a big starter in a carboy and add that to make sure the sacc was going to play a partial role. On the new barrel, I had considered pitching the dregs of the old barrel but thought a starter of lambic blend in a 5 gallon batch would make the two beers completely different for interest.

Good point about the gravity contribution of the concentrate. I had thought about that and planned to make the base beer a little weaker. 65 brix concentrate diluted 58.5 to 1.5 should only add 1.007 to the OG. Not that big of a deal I suppose.

I like the idea of fruiting later too. Everyone can get nuts with different options and those that want to use fresh fruit are welcome to spend the money.

Thanks. I figured for the buggy barrel I'd just pitch one of the 5 gallons shares with about 4 packs of US-05 or Nottingham to make a big starter in a carboy and add that to make sure the sacc was going to play a partial role. On the new barrel, I had considered pitching the dregs of the old barrel but thought a starter of lambic blend in a 5 gallon batch would make the two beers completely different for interest.

Good point about the gravity contribution of the concentrate. I had thought about that and planned to make the base beer a little weaker. 65 brix concentrate diluted 58.5 to 1.5 should only add 1.007 to the OG. Not that big of a deal I suppose.

I like the idea of fruiting later too. Everyone can get nuts with different options and those that want to use fresh fruit are welcome to spend the money.

i say grow your own if you have the space.
I just put in a sour cherry tree and some raspberries.
too bad the tree is 5 years out and the berries are 2.

Running out of garden room. I have a full raised bed of strawberries already.

get a bigger yard?
;)

This is my second year gardening.
50% is brew related.

Ill have to get my cherries from my local farmers market this year.

ok, peek inside tonight i got a nice layer of funk on top these days in my barrel, but i am worried about mold. I have what looks like a layer of pellicel on the inner lip of my barrel on the wood.

Should i be worried?
Ive got quite a bit of time in money in this project these days.

P1010282.JPG

P1010277.JPG

Looks harmless to me. Pellicles can be absolutely horrendous looking. If you're really worried, smell it at least. You should be able to tell the difference between mold and the funky goodness.

It smells of barnyard, pineapples and old gym socks.
lol

I was 2 pints of 120 min ipa when i looked last night and it freaked me right out.

Latest posts

Back