Pickled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
Gonna make one for our SHV month at my local brewers league.

I'm deciding between dill weed, actual pickles, or pickle juice.

There's nothing in pickle juice that can ferment is there?

I can't put dill weed in the actual wort, because I'm splitting it up into 3 batches (a jalapeno beer, a pickled beer, and a jalapeno pickled beer [**** yeah]), so I'm thinking pickle juice in the secondary for a week or so.

Any ideas, prior experience, etc... would be very much appreciated :]

-Kelly

I'm going to put it with a really simple, light ale, along with jalapenos for some of the batch.

Haha, maybe i'll make some of it Garlic Jalapeno Chili Pepper Beer, that's enough to tear anyone up.

But seriously garlic is an interesting idea.

Has this been done much before?

I'm going to put it with a really simple, light ale, along with jalapenos for some of the batch.

Haha, maybe i'll make some of it Garlic Jalapeno Chili Pepper Beer, that's enough to tear anyone up.

But seriously garlic is an interesting idea.

Has this been done much before?

God, I hope not! :drunk:

Be careful with garlic it tends to inhibit yeast. As for the pickle juice it probably wont ferment but it might contain other microorganisms (lactic/acetic) that will ferment stuff in the beer including all the alcohol the yeast worked hard to make. It might be better to look up pickling spices and add a blend of herbs and if you want sourness either get a lacto culture or simply buy lactic acid for Ph adjustment and add to taste.

It's an interesting idea, but I have a few thoughts you may want to consider.

First, as k1v pointed out, the pickle juice probably does contain some bugs that will ferment your wort in ways you do not care for. If you want to add something like that, consider boiling up your own brine and adding it.

Second, acetic acid (a.k.a., vinegar) does not really taste good in beer. It's a sharp, sour character that tends to clash, rather than compliment. Frankly, I've never found it pleasant or known anyone that does, and I friggin' love pickled stuff. Lactic acid does have a smoother, rounder sour character that can be quite nice, so (as k1v suggested) you might consider looking in that direction.

Finally, if you just want to get some sort of dill character into your beer, consider making a tincture or extract from dill weed or seeds, or you could also add them straight to the secondary and see what happens.

TL

Or maybe "dry hop" with dill weed. That combined with some lacto or lactic acid might turn out a slightly sour dill pickle reminiscent beer. You might even consider starting with a Berlinerweiss like beer as its already soured with lacto.

It's an interesting idea, but I have a few thoughts you may want to consider.

First, as k1v pointed out, the pickle juice probably does contain some bugs that will ferment your wort in ways you do not care for. If you want to add something like that, consider boiling up your own brine and adding it.

Second, acetic acid (a.k.a., vinegar) does not really taste good in beer. It's a sharp, sour character that tends to clash, rather than compliment. Frankly, I've never found it pleasant or known anyone that does, and I friggin' love pickled stuff. Lactic acid does have a smoother, rounder sour character that can be quite nice, so (as k1v suggested) you might consider looking in that direction.

Finally, if you just want to get some sort of dill character into your beer, consider making a tincture or extract from dill weed or seeds, or you could also add them straight to the secondary and see what happens.

TL

I suppose everyone who likes flanders reds, flanders browns, and true lambics dont count.

What about adding pickling spices (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PicklingSpice.htm) at the last 10 minutes or so of the boil, and then adding pre-boiled pickle juice individually to each bottle / the keg (havent decided what to do with it).

Will enough fermentation take place after it's bottled to worry about lactic issues / bottle bombs with the pickle juice?

Thanks for all the great advice :]

+1 on just "dry hopping" with the dill and whatever pickling spices you want. If you want the sour tang to go with it, you could sour a small amount of base malt, mash it, boil it off and then add it to the primary fermenter for the pickle beer, then do your dill and spices in secondary.

I just have to bump this thread...

to the OP: did you ever do any of this? I'm definitely considering a simple clean ale and dry 'hopping' with pickling spices (but curious if adding to the boil would have a better result).

I definitely like my kosher dills, so I'm thinking: add pickling spices to boil, add cleaned peeled chopped garlic to the secondary.

Back