Licorice Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyReynolds

Reaction score
So, I am planning on making a Licorce Stout. I have an ounce of licorice in the boil and have a pretty decent recipe planned out. I am really wanting to add some coffee/expresso flavors and a bit of dark chocolate flavor as well. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to accomplish this without over powering the flavor? I have head for coffee/expresso to steep finly ground beans in ice cold water in the refridgerator for a few days and add it to the bottling bucket. As far as the chocolate, I have no ideas. Please let me know anything that you think can help.:tank:

william sonoma/sur la table sell coffee extract which doesnt contain any oil that could work. You can always brew a cup of espresso and add it in. add to taste. I would brew a cup and add, stir, taste, then repeat until it gets to the flavor your lookingfor. No harm ever came from taking more time to get things right Cocoa nibs or dutch process cocao powder will work for the chocolate. ANything with fat will kill the head on your beer. I deffinitly DO NOT reccomend adding to the bottling bucket because you lose all ability to tweak at that point

+1 on the Cocoa nibs, just used some on my stout both in the mash and in the boil. You can get amazing flavor from "dry nibbing" too... I'd personally shy away from processed cocoa powder, it'll give you a hot chocolate feel.

p.s. Go with some chocolate malt too!!!

Ok, I am planning on using the Chocolate malts. As far as the Cocoa Nibs, would I get roasted or raw ones? I was thinking roasted, but I am uncertain.

i think they only come one way althoiugh i could be wrong. I just used them for something and they add a bit of biterness. Maybe ditch process cocao powder is the way to go

Trying to cram too many flavors into a beer can be a mistake. If you want the licorice to be the front flavor, I'd go easy on anything else to keep them in the background.

Latest posts

Back