help! hops leaked into wart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam

Reaction score
i went to add the hops into the wart in a nylon grain bag and i accidently let go of the string :bloated: now ive got hops floating on top of my wart

ive read its a bad idea to run it though a strainer, is it ok to put the wart into the primary with the leftover (prob 1/4 oz) of the hops??

thanks!

Dude, you're cool so RDWHAHB
A lot of people don't even mess with the hopsack.
The hops in the ferm won't kill or harm your beer.
It's perfectly fine to run it through a strainer or cheesecloth (as long as it it sanatized) if you feel so inclined.
Or you can just use a cold crash, or finings to help clear the beer in secondary.

No worries. I have often had hops accidently and on purpose go into the wort and to no ill effect. When the primary fermentation is done, the hop debris will most likely settle to the bottom of the fermenter and the beer can be racked off leaving it behind.
mark
Beer Diary...

I don't know exactly what you're saying, but I always put hops in my wort. That's what makes the beer. I don't bother with bags or any other stuff. They just go right in. Sometimes, if I use a ton of hops in a recipe, I might pour the wort through a strainer on the way to the fermenter, but usually I don't. The hops settle to the bottom, along with the spent yeast and other trub.

OK WELL IM BREWING A BELGIAN WHITE AND oops sorry for yelling

anyway im brewing a belgian white and i just put the corriander and orange peels into the wart. is it ok to pu tit into the primary without straining out the orange peels and corriander?

thanks

jam

You got chocolate in my peanut butter!

Hops in the wort is fine, I've never used a bag for my hops.

Every thing will settle in time. Put a cheese cloth or strainer in a funnel when your racking into the keg or bottling bucket.

Every thing will settle in time. Put a cheese cloth or strainer in a funnel when your racking into the keg or bottling bucket.

I disagree with this- you don't want to use a funnel or strainer on the way into the bottling bucket. That would aerate the beer something awful. Just wait until fermentation is finished, and then wait until the beer is clear. Then, you can rack (siphon) from above all the trub- the "stuff" on the bottom like spent yeast and hops particles- and leave all the trub behind. It'll be fine.

Your hops will settle to the bottom of your fermentor, it's not biggie.

Are you using Pellets or leafs?

My third batch, a RIS, I ended up with the hops, the trub, and the strainer in the ale pail... one of my best brews ever! :mug:

is it ok to pu tit

It's never ok to pu tit! :ban:

Uh oh! There's hops in my secondary! :p
ff_002.jpg

I stopped using hopsacks after the third batch, now I just dump em in.....It's easier that way.

You are fine!!!

+1 to this. Its only taken me a good handful of -
Dropping the funnel in the bucket while trying to strain the hops

Losing close to half of my brew cause its stuck in the hop bag that I lined the bucket with (causing me to have to squeeze the **** out of it to get the liquid past the hop crappage)

Having a hop bag freeze overnight while drying on the fence, then dealing with that crappy mess.

Reading Revvys posts and saying "Damn, he was right..." (to myself when it comes brewday)
-Me

o man guys something SUPER BAD JUST HAPPEND

WELL NOT JUST HAPPENED..... BUT IT HAPPENED

sorry im yelling again... anyway, i went to put the airlock in the primary and thet little rubber ring just up and pop'd right into the beer. werst part is i had already dumped the sanitizing solution down teh drain

sooooo i washed my hand with cold water and dove in. goddamnit. this was after i pitched the yeast

i got the stopper, put it back in the cap and inserted the airlock. am i ****ed?

You should have just left it in there. Time will only tell it it's bad or not. There have been worse things that have turned out fine. Leave it to ferment completely (at least a week) and then taste it.

sorry im yelling again... anyway, i went to put the airlock in the primary and thet little rubber ring just up and pop'd right into the beer. werst part is i had already dumped the sanitizing solution down teh drain

sooooo i washed my hand with cold water and dove in. goddamnit. this was after i pitched the yeast

i got the stopper, put it back in the cap and inserted the airlock. am i ****ed?

no.
I did the same thin on my first beer. IMO it still ranks in my top 5 beers...

LMFAO!!!! ROTF!!!! I did too LOL..... Beer was GREAT!

no.
I did the same thin on my first beer. IMO it still ranks in my top 5 beers...

It happened to me on my first beer, too. I just left it in there, and used duct tape to hold the airlock. It was fine, and your beer will be too.

a accidentely the wart THE WHOLE THING!

Gold.

BTW. You will be fine, the beer will be fine. Dropping the rubber piece isn't the end of the world either! I just hope you sanitized your hand/arm before reaching in.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT YOU ARE SUPER FI... sorry I'm yelling. You will be A+, maybe A-.

That happened on my second beer, after coming home completely smashed and messing with the airlock.

Then, being completely smashed, tried to macguyver a way to get the grommet out. I contaminated my batch by being an overly-drunk worrier and shoving an assortment of random unsanitized pokers, prods, and pickups, into the fermenter.

I moved to carboys. :drunk:

I nominate this to replace "All your base are belong to us"
and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&hs=p2r&ei=ptCNSejmG4nKtQPh_oicCQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=accidentally+the+whole+thing&spell=1"]Its already happened[/ame] :)

I've never used a bag to put my hops into the wort. They always settle out in the primary. If you're really worried you could spin your wort into a whirlpool (after it's cooled of course!) and the hops/hot&cold break will settle in the center of your pot. Then just rack using a racking cane from the edges.

No Sweat. This is standard operating procedure around here. Plus, with dry hopping it just gets worse/better.

~M~

Latest posts

Back