Got hops fatigue. Malty suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
I have normally been mostly an IPA drinker, like many homebrewers. I just finished off 5 gallons of an IPA, and really found that I wasn't enjoying it for the last few weeks, even though it had matured beautifully. I'm just fatigued on bitter, bright flavors right now.

I need a switch to keep my palate interested. I adore sour beers, but I don't have time to brew one, they are expensive and generally don't have great distribution.

Suggest to me some non-boring but milder, malt-centric beers that can be found easily? Much obliged.

A lot of the best beers are regional...just depends on where you are at.

I really enjoyed Oskar Blues Old Chub. Great Scotch Ale where the boozy alcohol and solid bitterness balance the almost cloying malt backbone

I felt the same way recently, so I've been buying malty type beers. I had a bellhaven scottish ale, fullers ESB, Skull Splitter, and I'm drinking a Monchshof Schwarz right now. Love all of those. So I looked up some decent Scottish type ale recipes, and settled on the Northern Brewer Karls scottish 90 shilling. The only thing I'm a little weary about is the hops. It uses 2 oz of EKG, so I'm thinking it might be a bit much. I'm still brewing according to the directions.

I had some Gordon Biersch Winterbock this week and was really blown away. I'm the same way, it's always something hoppy, so the Winterbock was a nice change of pace. It's a Doppelbock and is very tasty. :mug:

PassedPawn beat me to it - an ESB is a nice change from the typical American pales but still "accessible," taste-wise, for someone who is used to hoppy beers.

Good suggestions, guys, thanks. Going shopping today :-D

I had a local craft beer last night that was billed as a winter blonde. I have never experienced enjoyable diacetyl, but this was phenomenal. This is the butterbeer some brewers have been looking for. I can't say I'd brew 5 gallons, since the novelty would fade.

Probably going to get a malty bitter or an ESB in the pipeline when I have the time. Hooray for victory malt!

I try to place my self with my IPAs. I've notice I don't enjoy them nearly as much if that's all I'm drinking. Almost like my pallet is bored or something. So I usually mix it up with some stouts, nut brown ales, or something with a different flavor profile instead of flat out hops.

Back