Whats the best Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
hey guys,
Whats the best Temp. controller to get for a 10 gal Picnic cooler MLT? Or maybe my question should be: What's the difference between say the Ranco's and the Amber Interments ones? I want to incorporate it into my bio-diesel production as well, as a side note.

Just curious why would you need a temp controller for a picnic cooler MLT?

I use my controller with a standard cooler MLT. But I have a pump and external heat exchanger. So I measure my strike water out, and put it in the cooler the night before. Then on brewday morning (while I'm eating breakfast and getting my google news and forum fix) I log on via the web and kick off the strike heating process. The controller heats the strike water and holds until I'm ready to dough in. It could also easily be set on a timer.

Also good for steps and mashout. Coolers are nicely insulated, and hold temps well for standard single infusion mashes. But they also make good herms/rims MLTs.

Eccsynd, you answered abracadabra's question completely to my specifications also. I was also thinking about putting a heating element directly in my MLT surrounded by copper piping, as to no scorch the grains. This way I could set it to 152F and leave it.

I just ordered a Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired. I guess Derrin's input and the fact that it is "turn-key" turned me onto it. Thanks for the input guys.

I use my controller with a standard cooler MLT. But I have a pump and external heat exchanger. So I measure my strike water out, and put it in the cooler the night before. Then on brewday morning (while I'm eating breakfast and getting my google news and forum fix) I log on via the web and kick off the strike heating process. The controller heats the strike water and holds until I'm ready to dough in. It could also easily be set on a timer.

Also good for steps and mashout. Coolers are nicely insulated, and hold temps well for standard single infusion mashes. But they also make good herms/rims MLTs.

Pics please. More beer pron! :D

If you place any sort of heat source in the MLT, you will need to have a mash mixer. Otherwise your mash will get warm near the heater and cold further from it. You want to make sure your mash is homogenous so that your temp probe is reading the correct temp.

Eccsynd, you answered abracadabra's question completely to my specifications also. I was also thinking about putting a heating element directly in my MLT surrounded by copper piping, as to no scorch the grains. This way I could set it to 152F and leave it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but you don't want to run that heating element dry...

No you do not want to run one dry. It would be encased in a short large diameter copper pipe with a few holes in it to allow water to enter.

Latest posts

Back