Inexpensive Belgain for 2nd Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
After having a hard time keeping the fermenter at a reasonable temp through our first batch of California Common, I'm thinking we should utilize a Wyeast higher temp yeast until it cools down a bit outside.

In another thread, someone suggested a Hennepin clone, but after looking into it, it may be a little pricey for just our second batch. I'd rather not risk a$70 batch on our second go around.

Does anyone have a good, fairly inexpensive recipe for a belgain farmhouse or saison that cold utilize one of these?

Wyeast 3725 PC
Bier de Garde
Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Attenuation 74-79%
Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation low
Temperature Range 70-95°F (21-35°C)

Wyeast 3726 PC
Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%
Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation variable

After having a hard time keeping the fermenter at a reasonable temp through our first batch of California Common, I'm thinking we should utilize a Wyeast higher temp yeast until it cools down a bit outside.

In another thread, someone suggested a Hennepin clone, but after looking into it, it may be a little pricey for just our second batch. I'd rather not risk a$70 batch on our second go around.

Does anyone have a good, fairly inexpensive recipe for a belgain farmhouse or saison that cold utilize one of these?

Wyeast 3725 PC
Bier de Garde
Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Attenuation 74-79%
Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation low

Wyeast 3726 PC
Farmhouse Ale
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%
Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation variable

I brewed this Saison and it was wonderful. I didn't use any spice as I wanted to highlight the yeast. This will keep your costs down. One of the best Saisons I've tasted IMHO.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56189

Great. I forgot to mention that I'm doing extract, but I'm sure theres a way to convert that. I'll have to price that out this afternoon.

Any other suggestions?

Go with 60-70% Pils extract if you can get it or extra light DME if you can't, toss in 10-20% wheat extract and 10-20% sugar, bitter to 20-40 IBU with noble hops depending on your OG. Toss in 1/4-1/2oz hops at flameout for some aroma. If your OG is high(>1.060), go with higher percentage of sugar. I think this is a good way to let the belgian yeasts do their thing. Simple and tasty.

Ok, so after talking with the guy at the LHBS and doing some calculations based on things I’ve learned ,this is what I’ve come up with:

3.88 lbs Pale DME Mutrons
1.8 lbs Wheat DME Mutrons
.5 lbs Candi Sugar

1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 20.8 60 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 1.4 15 min.
0.33 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 1.1 2 min.
0.33 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 1.3 2 min.
0.33 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 0.8 2 min.

Yeast: Wyeast 3724 Farmhouse Ale

Here are my questions:
1. Should I start the fermentation at a cooler temp for a couple days? I’ve read this may help dry it out.

2. Do I need to add more sugar? If so, how much? I’ve also read this helps dry it out a bit

3. I’d like to re-use the yeast, but not necessarily brew another saison. Can I pitch an IPA on top of this? Thoughts?

4. Does the recipe look right? I’ve calculated for the pale malt content n the wheat DME.

5. Should I steep any caravienna or any other specialty grains w/ it? I think most recipes contain some sort of specialty addition.

1. Pitch at 62F and let it ramp to 80-85F or a little higher.
2. Sugar is OK but if you want a little drier go upto 1#.
3. This yeast will not make a good IPA. It's a farmhouse/saison yeast. Maybe some type of Belgian would work.
4. I don't do extracts (can't help)
5. No crystal malts if your looking for a drier beer...

Back