Your opinions please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
So I created an extract recipe after doing a bunch of kits. It came out really well. I just started AG so I converted the recipe in Beersmith to AG. Below is the recipe. Please tell me what you think and if you think it will work out okay.

The reason I am asking for the critique is because I used 4.5 lbs of Amber LME and 3.5 lbs of Munich LME from Austin Homebrew Store for my base malt in the extract recipe and it seems like the volume that Beersmith converted to for my specialty grains may be a bit high.

Thanks for the advice,

:tank:

Ogre's Battalion Irish Red Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/21/2008 Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Ogre Boil Size: 7.36 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (10 gal) and Rubbermaid Cooler (10 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.50 Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU 9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.00 % 2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.00 % 1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (50.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 % 0.50 oz Galena [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU 0.50 oz Williamette 5.0 AAU [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU 0.50 oz Williamette 5.0 AAU [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU 0.50 oz Williamette 5.0 AAU [5.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
4.00 tsp Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
5.25 gal Local Water Water
1 Pkgs Windsor (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.069 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.02 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 % Bitterness: 26.1 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint Est Color: 17.4 SRM Color: Color
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb Sparge Water: 5.11 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp 60 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water and heat to 158.0 F over 20 min 158.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4 Pressure/Weight: 11.2 PSI Carbonation Used: 20 PSI for 10 minutes Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 7.0 days Storage Temperature: 40.0 F
Notes

Did the extract version you did come out to an OG of around 1.069?

I converted the 4.5lbs of Amber by itself in beersmith, and it gave me 9.87lbs of 2 row. I'm pretty new to using BS also though. That is why I ask on the OG.

Yes it did. It was supposed to come in around 1.073 but I planned for 5 gallon batch and got 5.4 instead. I got 1.040 after deleting out the specialty grains and the munich LME. I then converted it to AG and got 5.2 lbs of 2-row

Edit: Ignore the last two sentences. I was very druck and misunderstood your post.

Now, I know this was a conversion from extract, but 2lbs of crystal anything sounds like a lot. You might need to try tweaking future AG batches and see how it can balance out, maybe some 120 and lower the 60 quite a bit to balance out the color. Then again that will alter the flavor.

I know, we must brew lots of it until we figure it out!

Now, I know this was a conversion from extract, but 2lbs of crystal anything sounds like a lot. You might need to try tweaking future AG batches and see how it can balance our, maybe some 120 and lower the 60 quite a bit to balance out the color. Then again that will alter the flavor.

I know, we must brew lots of it until we figure it out!

You mean I will have to brew multiple batches of my favorite brew to date to dial it in perfectly? Darn...

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Back