Hopbursted farmhouse ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
So, learn to homebrew day was yesterday and my homebrew club did a demonstration event at a local brewery. A fellow member gave me 9 oz of home grown dried chinook hops, so I let my hop hand get loose! This is the beer I brewed....

I used wyeast 3711 French saison as well as a saison like grain bill and hopped it like an ipa.

10# pilsner malt
1# white wheat malt
1/2# honey malt

Mashed at 152 for an hour

1oz chinook whole- FWH
1oz chinook whole- 10min
1oz chinook whole- 8 min
2oz chinook whole- 5 min
1oz chinook whole- 1min
1oz chinook whole- flameout

I hit 1.062 original gravity, aerated with a 60 second o2 blast and pitched a 1200ml active starter from a stirplate.

Final Gravity was 1.006. Dry hop for 7 days with 2oz chinook whole hops.

Actually sounds pretty good..

Will be interesting how the spicy pine mixes with the saison yeast esters.

My house is pretty cool in the Fall, so I put it in the closet with the hot water heater and happily bubbling away at 72-74 degrees right now!

Update on this beer:

Holy crap, the 3711 took this beer down to 1.006! The sample tastes nice, very citrusy and smelled of fresh cut grapefruit. So hoppy I got a bit of tongue tingle. I racked it onto two ounces of chinook dry hops.

This beer turned out great. I know there are a lot of chinook haters out there, but this thing has the smoothest bitterness I've ever tasted, the aroma is out of this world as well!

image-831362840.jpg

besides fermenting this thing down to 1.006, it added subtle spicy esters that blended very well with the chinook hops. I think that the FWH addition really tamed the notoriously harsh nature of the chinook. The bitterness of this beer is surprisingly tame, huge hop aroma and flavor from the large late boil additions

This sounds really good. I'm going to put this on the list for when the weather gets warm enough to do a saison yeast.

I just bottled my second 1 gallon batch and man I love this beer!

The first batch I followed the recipe exactly (scaled down). Smelled and tasted great! Tons of citrus, and a nice spice from the 3711.

The batch I just bottled I replaced the hops with Galaxy. Pre-carbonated it tasted outstanding!

Unfortunately I didn't have a bottle of the first batch to compare to, but both are great. Time to move this up to 5 gallons!

Thanks to the OP for the recipe - on my permanent list!!!

:ban:

Back