Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean12

Reaction score
Hi, I want to carbonate a soda and rum recipe and then bottle, with carbonation remaining for many weeks or months. followed various threads and looked up things but want to know whether I can achieve enough carbonation using a keg (carbonate water, add rum and syrup, re-carbonate, fill bottle with a beer gun). Are there better ways to achieve this result? Am wanting to bottle in glass. Hope I don't need to invest in an in bottle carbonator for wine growers!

Hi, I want to carbonate a soda and rum recipe and then bottle, with carbonation remaining for many weeks or months. followed various threads and looked up things but want to know whether I can achieve enough carbonation using a keg (carbonate water, add rum and syrup, re-carbonate, fill bottle with a beer gun). Are there better ways to achieve this result? Am wanting to bottle in glass. Hope I don't need to invest in an in bottle carbonator for wine growers!

That should work just fine. The keg should be very cold, and the bottles should also be very cold. A beer gun works well.

Cheers for that. Any other reccommedations such as using a long keg hose to disperse pressure? Also, should I start at 30-40PSI, wind down to 20PSI after a few days and finish on 10PSI. Bottling in glass so before i make investment in gear want to know that I don't need to force carbonate the bottle too before crown capping as want to then start selling at a local fair! many thanks

Cheers for that. Any other reccommedations such as using a long keg hose to disperse pressure? Also, should I start at 30-40PSI, wind down to 20PSI after a few days and finish on 10PSI. Bottling in glass so before i make investment in gear want to know that I don't need to force carbonate the bottle too before crown capping as want to then start selling at a local fair! many thanks

Soda is highly carbed. I have mine at 25-30 psi. I don't turn it down. But when you use the beer gun, you'll have to turn it down very very low, just to push the soda. That will be like at 2-3 psi.

Soda is highly carbed. I have mine at 25-30 psi. I don't turn it down. But when you use the beer gun, you'll have to turn it down very very low, just to push the soda. That will be like at 2-3 psi.

Ok thanks; knew I had to turn it low but that is very low! The element of alcohol content (7-9%) and the fact that the soda enters the keg as distilled water and a syrup (flat) still won't make a difference? Is a corny keg the best to use?

Ok thanks; knew I had to turn it low but that is very low! The element of alcohol content (7-9%) and the fact that the soda enters the keg as distilled water and a syrup (flat) still won't make a difference? Is a corny keg the best to use?

I don't know what you mean. You can not legally sell anything with "alcohol content" at a fair or farmer's market, at least in the US. But soda doesn't have alcohol in it- it's "soda". It's not beer or wine or cider- it's a non alcoholic drink.

Soda isn't distilled water. You mix up the soda with your recipe, and then transfer to the keg to carbonate it.

Back