shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello yall
I just brewed a belgian style golden ale..problem is i under shot my preboil target OG by alot.I was lucky to have a pound and a half of DME lying around,i added the DME at the end of the boil..Post boil Og was 1.060..the thing is, i brewed this particular beer for christmas,being a belgian style i wanted to give it months of conditioning.I plan on adding some sugar(candi sugar) when the fermentation slows..i was shooting for a 8-9% beer not only for character but for cellaring stability..Will a 1.060 beer be vinegar by december? Any tricks to boosting a beer 10 points during fermentation?
cheers

I kegged a 1.060 in September. I'm still drinking it, it's still fine, not as hoppy when it was fresh though and starting to get some CO2 bite. Golden strong will likely be a style that ages well.

I added candi sugar to my quad in secondary and it worked well. Tips... if you don't know how much you have in your primary - fill another container identical to your primary fermentor with water to the same level as your primary. Measure the volume of the water and use that volume to do calcs on how much candi sugar to add.

I kegged a 1.060 in September. I'm still drinking it, it's still fine, not as hoppy when it was fresh though and starting to get some CO2 bite. Golden strong will likely be a style that ages well.

I added candi sugar to my quad in secondary and it worked well. Tips... if you don't know how much you have in your primary - fill another container identical to your primary fermentor with water to the same level as your primary. Measure the volume of the water and use that volume to do calcs on how much candi sugar to add.
Good tip..thanks alot

Back