Fruit wines, to finish or not to finish, that is the question......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I follow a lot of Jack Keller's recipes, almost to the tee. I drink a lot of store bought wine, all of those are treated with sulfides. Sulfides don't give me a headache.

That said I want to bottle my wines without a chemical finish. Just lots of time in the carboy. Does anyone have any experiences of doing this and getting horrible results? Keep in mind I don't have any kits, just fruit wines I've made from scratch.

Wait they do or don't give you a headache? They give me a wicked head thump in the morning but my homemade does not. I noticed I can have two glasses on 12 % and be pounding the next day, I can drink three glasses of 20% and wake up before the alarm and get a run in. Go figure.

Ok reel me back....the only thing I have noticed is that the dry wines age beautifully with no problem. The wines with residual sugar can become slightly to moderately carbonated over time. At first I thought aww that is unfortunate but now I actually like the mouthfeel it has. So I guess if the fg isn't off the chart it's fun to see what will come, time bombs prohibiting.

Cheers, I m going to pour me some just cause you asked.

Wait they do or don't give you a headache? They give me a wicked head thump in the morning but my homemade does not. I noticed I can have two glasses on 12 % and be pounding the next day, I can drink three glasses of 20% and wake up before the alarm and get a run in. Go figure.

Ok reel me back....the only thing I have noticed is that the dry wines age beautifully with no problem. The wines with residual sugar can become slightly to moderately carbonated over time. At first I thought aww that is unfortunate but now I actually like the mouthfeel it has. So I guess if the fg isn't off the chart it's fun to see what will come, time bombs prohibiting.

Cheers, I m going to pour me some just cause you asked.

Good to know, my wife doesn't like sweet wines so none of mine are that sweet. Except for my damned watermelon wine, it's to sweet. Was perfect till the last of the lees fell out, now it's sweeter n' a cake made out of pie. Go figure, it'll be a good mixer at least....

I like the raw flavor of the fruit without the sweetness. Myself I make raspberry, Edison cherry and rhubarb wine without killing off the yeast( even thought people tell me I'm gonna have a bomb). I have had no problem, hell sometimes if I keep it in the dark and cool place I get sparkling wine(yes I use normal bottles and yes I use screw tops alot like rum bottles without corks... Sue me!!!!!). I like my father's wines recipes without back sweeting and killing yeast.

Funny, I always attributed headaches from drinking too much wine and becoming dehydrated, not with back sweetening or sterilized yeast?

Back