FWH and hopbursting DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoobrew

Reaction score
I have experimented with hopbursting and loved the results. The flavor and aroma contribution is absolutely outstanding. I have not tried full wort hopping yet and am interested to see the results. I understand this hop schedule may not provide the bitterness some may want out of a DIPA, my goal is for a Citrus hop bomb with a pleasant bitterness and absurdly citric flavor and aroma.

first wort 60+ mins 1.0 Warrior
first wort 60+ mins 1.0 Summit
boil 20 mins 0.5 Simcoe
boil 20 mins 0.5 Amarillo
boil 20 mins 0.5 Citra
boil 15 mins 0.5 Simcoe
boil 15 mins 0.5 Amarillo
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra
boil 10 mins 0.5 Simcoe
boil 10 mins 0.5 Amarillo
boil 5 mins 0.5 Citra
boil 5 mins 0.5 Amarillo
boil 1 min 0.5 Simcoe
boil 1 min 0.5 Citra

I too have become a big fan of hopbursting.

I don't think I could stand so much Citra. I really like it in small doses as a dryhop, along with Amarillo or Cascades, but it's easy to get too much (for me) tropical fruit flavor. And when used in the boil, I get too much grapefruit. Its not bad, just a bit much for me.

However I'm sure that will be a very nice brew. Perhaps the Simcoe (which I have not ever used) will be a good counterbalance to it.

The last brew I did with hopbursting was a Rye Pale Ale. I used Amarillo and Citra exclusively. The flavor provided by the hopbursting was a perfect balance to the Rye astringency for my taste. So car my luck with Citra as an aroma/flavor hop has been good and I will run with it for now.

Back