Can I rack to secondary before done in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
I did a California Common with WLP San Fran Lager yeast a week ago. It's been at the bottom end (54^F) of the listed Optimum Fermentation temp (55 ^F). It has had about an inch of Krausen for the entire week, and still does and is bubbling at slow but steady rate.

Here's my delimma - I've got to be out of town next week. It's still active. Do I let it sit on the trub for another week, or transfer to the secondary now and let if finish there?

Thanks,

um... yeah.. sit good. I did a rauchbier with that same yeast a few months ago and I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks. Came out very nice. It's even better now that it's sat in the bottles for a couple of months....

You are much better off leaving it in the primary. Longer times, especially for lagers, are not a problem. In fact, a month with that yeast and temperature wouldn't be a bad idea.

Back