I think I solved my racking problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever picked up some trub trying to make sure and get all the beer out of the fermenter? I keep having issues with this, so, I think I may have come up with a solution. I formed a little hook from a small piece of stiff wire and clamped it to my autosiphon with a hose clamp. I spaced it so that it will suspend the autosiphon about an inch or so off the bottom of the fermenter (that may be to deep, but if so, it's easily adjustable). Now, when I'm ready to rack, I can just hook the autosiphon to the side of the bucket, make sure the other end of the tube is safely down in my bottling bucket and give the siphon a couple of pumps. Not only will it get most of the beer without tilting the bucket, and without the tip getting down in the trub, it will be a hands off operation now. Does this sound like it will work?

It might work for you, I don't know, but it would be useless for me as I stir too vigourously not to suspend some of the trub in what I'm racking.

It might work for you, I don't know, but it would be useless for me as I stir too vigourously not to suspend some of the trub in what I'm racking.

Why are you stirring when you rack? The idea is not to disturb the beer so you can leave the trub behind.

:confused: QUE? Why are you stirring while racking?

I just tilt my bucket a bit. I also did somewhat of the same thing with the wire and hose clamp. I just look down in my bucket to see whats comming and adjust racking cane as necessary. Im thinking about modifying the bottom of auto siphon with a curved piece of tube that way instead of sucking from the bottom up it'll suck beer away from the trub area. Wow, thats confusing.

Has anyone ever picked up some trub trying to make sure and get all the beer out of the fermenter? I keep having issues with this, so, I think I may have come up with a solution. I formed a little hook from a small piece of stiff wire and clamped it to my autosiphon with a hose clamp. I spaced it so that it will suspend the autosiphon about an inch or so off the bottom of the fermenter (that may be to deep, but if so, it's easily adjustable). Now, when I'm ready to rack, I can just hook the autosiphon to the side of the bucket, make sure the other end of the tube is safely down in my bottling bucket and give the siphon a couple of pumps. Not only will it get most of the beer without tilting the bucket, and without the tip getting down in the trub, it will be a hands off operation now. Does this sound like it will work?
They sell clips for racking canes (the first autosyphon, OK, it was manual...so sue me...;)), same idea, different size.

Tilting still results in more volume. ;)

I hope you are talking about going from BK to fermenter, and not from fermenter to secondary/keg/bottling bucket/bottles...

The OP is talking about the latter. Heck, even going BK to fermenter, you don't need to be vigorously stirring...

Heifer-wizen?

No, that's here:
qvLDH.jpg

(Source)

I go directly from primary to bottles, and use a sugar solution for racking. I dont' get a ¼" of trub in each bottle, I do get a 1/32 or so... but I hate having flat beer, and that is the price that *I* pay for making my beer.

I go directly from primary to bottles, and use a sugar solution for racking. I dont' get a ¼" of trub in each bottle, I do get a 1/32 or so... but I hate having flat beer, and that is the price that *I* pay for making my beer.

I'd rather pay the price of a bottling bucket. Then I get a dusting of yeast in the bottom of my bottles and that's it.

Back