Which copper tubing for the chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Went to the big box today to pick up some copper tubing for an immersion chiller. They carry type "L" and refrigeration tubing with the "L" being stiffer and much more money. Also Lowes sells it in 20 ft lengths of 3/8.
Is the less costly refrigeration tubing ok and is 20ft long enough? Would 20ft of 1/2 be better?
I will be using a 30qt turkey fryer pot.

I made mine out of 50' of 1/2" tubing...

3298664213_6247f1d068_o.jpg

+1 On JMSetzler's rig
Type L is a thicker wall guage but the refrigeration tubing would probably be easier to form. 20ft is probably not be enough length. The 1/2 inch diameter would give more surface area and flow to cool quicker.

If you are doing full boils, I'd suggest 50' of 1/2" refer... it may be a bit big, but it will chill in no time, and future proof any move up to 10 gallon batches.

I think I will do the 20 ft of 1/2 and use standard pipe for the risers and this should give me a full 20 ft in the pot.
Doing my first all grain this week and i am trying to be fully prepared.
Thanks all!

Refrigeration tubing is actually better because it is thinner and transfers heat faster.

Check at a local distributer if you have one.

I just happened to go to one for the fittings I needed to build a CFC and asked if they sold the tubing. It was .64c a foot. $32 for 50ft and I didn't have to order over the internet.

I have the materials to build two. I finished one up today and plan to build a second and sell it possibly.

Back