using oxygen aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
I just ordered a aeration system that uses an oxygen tank. This will be my first time using one. Previously, i have always used an aquarium air pump/diffusion stone setup. I had horrible results with it. It seemed like the weak little pump just couldn't put out hardly anything and usually it didn't put out anything if there was the slightest amount of sanitizer left in the line. But, anyway since i just bought the oxygen one i was wondering if there is a certain amount of time that you are supposed to aerate? is it dif for dif beers? any help would be appreciated

Mine came with instructions. I used it for approx 60 seconds & it was about to foam out of the fermenter so I figured stopping was good. However I have seen so many varying directions on how long to aerate that I quite frankly have no idea who to believe.

I go for about 45 seconds, up to 90 seconds for high gravity beers. I don't run it on full blast, just enough so I can see some fine bubbles coming out of the airstone.

Without some kind of expensive inline meter you'll never really know how many ppm you are putting into your wort. Most of us just go for about a minute, or a bit less, which is what Wyeast recommends as well.

Back